How many accessories can i run on three batts??

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
what all can i run on 3 batteries? i have 2 for the 24v trolling motor and one cranking. i will have running lights, spotlight ( which will not be on constantly ), interior light, and i thought about a radio. do i have enough "juice" for all that?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How many accessories can i run on three batts??

You can have all that but I would wire up so that the cranking battery is for the engine only so that at the end of the day you don't to turn the key and hear "CLICK".

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks bob! i didnt plan on putting anything else on the cranking battery.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have 3 batteries connected in a combination of series and parallel, parallel being through a battery switch. This allows for the 24V trolling motor to run off 2 series batteries and if needed the engine and accessories to run off 2 parallel batteries, or 1 battery, or either of the 2 batteries connected to the switch. So your saying, how the,,,???

The engine start battery is connected to the battery switch's 1st channel and battery #2 is connected to the battery switch's 2nd channel, nothing special here. This allows for 2 batteries to be combined in case of starting problems, switching off the engine battery while using accessories and charging both of these batteries while running the engine.

To get 24V for the trolling motor battery #3 is connected in series to the battery #2 on the battery switches 2nd channel.

With this configuration you have to option to "double duty" the second battery, just be careful while wiring the batteries and don't connect + to - and - to + on them, or you'll get big sparks. I've been running my boat like this for several years and it's come in handy many times.

The only down side is battery #2 might be at a different voltage (higher or lower depending on charge and drain) than #1 or #3, but I haven't seen it cause problems.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok i lost you there fishrdan! :eek:

fishrdan

Admiral

Sorry, I was trying to keep it simple :D

Let's see if this makes more sense... in a caveman/3rd grade picture, no I'm not an artist :cool:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3 batteries.jpg
    3 batteries.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0