Looking at buying a boat needs some opinions

modicon2

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at buying a 1989 Wellcraft 180 Classic.
It has a Mercruiser Alpha-one 3.7L
The interior was redone ~7years ago and still in good shape.
It has trim plates on each side.
The foot of the outdrive appears to be broken-off a little on the bottom tip.
It is a 1-owner and he claims everything works and great running shape.
He is asking $4,500.

I going to take it for test drive Sunday. Is there anything in particular that I need to look for or check? Should I do a compression check? any help?

Anyone have any comments about this boat, please let me know.
What's a fair price?

Thanks

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking at buying a boat needs some opinions

Sole, Stringers and Transom. They are the real problem with boats from this era. Check out the boat building section and see how many projects are out there!​

Stringers: The long hull members that run the length of the boat under the sole (deck or "floor"). Usually wood covered in fiberglass, they are prone to rot (the wood in the glass). It is tough to check the condition of the stringers, but if you can gain access to one, knock on it and see if it sounds hollow. Take a socket set and try to turn a bolt that holds the front engine mount. It if turns freely and will not fully tighten, it is a good sign the wood core has rot. Big job to replace them.​

Sole/Deck: check for any soft spots. The deck is normally plywood covered with glass. Like the stringers, it too is subject to rot. If ANY soft spots are noted, chances are more rot is under it. Look under the helm, the rear seats, any hidden spots where rot can be found.​

Transom: The rear of the boat. It usually is plywood encased in glass. It too, like the sole and stringers is subject to rot. Tap it and listen for hollow sounds. The best way to check it is to drill a few holes in it (from the inside) and see if clean dry wood comes out. Most sellers will not allow this though.​

Powertrain: Do a compression check, or see if the owner will let you take it to a mechanic. A good overall look at the engine will tell a lot. Check for leaking gaskets. When you take it out, see if it starts easy and runs good. Check the outdrive belows (the rubber tubes that run between the drive and transom mount). They should not have any tears in them. Torn or missing bellows will let water into the drive. This water will mix with the gear lube and ruin a drive. The broken foot you describe is a skeg, and they can be repaired. Check the prop for any dings or bends.​

Misc: look at the condition of the hull, paint, etc. Poke your head under the helm and see if the wiring looks good or is just a rats nest.​

Since this is the original owner, ask how he stored it. Was it inside? Outside? Does he have repair records?​

NADA reports this boat's value around $3900 average retail. This is only a guide, and really does not reflect a trailer and other factors. Check boattrader and see what the average price is listed. I seen around $3500 to $3900. If this boat is indeed a nice one, then the price is not bad, but of course I would try to talk him down $500 to 900.​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.

A 30 year old boat motor combo, may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.
for a 19 year old boat, only 18 feet seems high.

ziggy

Admiral

It has a Mercruiser Alpha-one 3.7L
if that's one of them mercruiser 470 version engines. and i think it is. ya may want to avoid that. very few have much good to say about them........

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Price is high. If it checks out, offer $3500 and go from there.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Read up on that engine, as was said before many around here (and elsewhere) don't have good things to say about it.

$4,500 is too high, unless in GREAT shape. That size/age/price range has a TON of boats available, so don't overpay or settle for a problem boat. Be very selective, then offer a low number and negotiate. Walk away if need be then try them again in a week or two, maybe a few $$ higher. They'll be surprised their boat hasn't sold yet and more ready to deal.

The end of the skeg being broken isn't a big deal in itself, but he hit something to cause this so what damage was done elsewhere in the drive system (maybe none, but check it out). Also, you want to buy a used boat from a boat nut! (Someone who babies the boat). Such a person wouldn't be able to show the boat with a damaged skeg, IMO. They'd have it fixed for $150 or whatever it costs.

Good luck in your search.

modicon2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies.
The boat was stored under a metal canopy and shows some sign of fading on one side.

The owner is known for talking excellent care of all his toys. The fact that it is his boat made me more interested in looking at it.

I'll test drive it Monday and we'll see how it performs. Thanks again!