I need some advice.

verlandavis

Recruit
I have a 1964 johnson 90 hrs, I have to prime it to get it started. It'll run fine while it's hot and restart.. when i turn it off for 10 min or so I have to prime it again to get it running.. ive cleaned the carb and the fuel pump is working fine.. ive also checked all lines and i have no leaks..
any ideas??

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: I need some advice.

If you're saying simply that you need to pump the fuel primer bulb in order to restart the engine, and you're using a portable fuel tank, I'd suspect that the valves on the primer bulb are faulty which are allowing the fuel to siphon back into the tank.

If a built in tank, see the following:

(Fuel Anti Siphon Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Many of the later OMC V/6 engines incorporate a fuel restriction warning via a vacuum device attached to the powerhead. If the engine overheats, or if you have a fuel restriction, the warning is the same.... a steady constant beep.

NOTE... Only the V/6 & V/8 engines have the above "Fuel Restriction Warning". The warning horn will not sound on the other models.

The fact that a engine is not overheating, but the warning horn sounds off with a constant steady beep, and that the rpms drop drastically would indicate that the engine is starving for fuel due to a fuel restriction. Check the built in fuel tank where the rubber fuel line attaches to the tank fitting. That fitting is in all probability a "Anti Siphon" valve which is notorious for sticking in a semi closed position. It will be aluminum, about 2" long, and the insides of it will consist of a spring, a ball, and a ball seat. If this valve exists, remove it, knock out those inner components which will convert it to a straight through fitting, then re-install it. Hopefully that cures the problem.

The above procedure will cure a restriction problem with the anti siphon valve as stated. BUT, it may also allow fuel to drain backwards to the fuel tank when the engine is not running (siphoning backwards) due to the fact that the carburetors/fuel pump etc are higher than the fuel tank. This condition is not an absolute as the valves in the fuel primer bulb usually prevent this backwards siphoning problem. However.... if this does take place, the cure would be to install a new anti siphon valve.

verlandavis

Recruit

No, what i mean is i actually have to put fuel in to the carb through the chock holes. I've already checked the tanks and the hose, I've been around motors my whole life ,yet I dont under stand this.. the plugs also burn differnt colors.. it's old i know but maybe im just missing something. thank you for your help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If pouring gas in the carb gets it going, then simply choking it should accomplish the same thing. Are you leaving the manual lever in "automatic" position so it can do it's job? Does the electric choke work? How about, have you tried using the fast idle lever on the control to give it a bit more throttle? Gotta be something along these lines, since it runs fine after you get it started.