Best Paint for this??

VetteBrett

Cadet
I want to paint the faded maroon paint on this boat that is between the water line on the seam for the top and bottom of the boat. I have been reading about latex paint for this by using the roll and tip method. This is my first boat and I will have it for awhile so I want it to look better, I want to paint the maroon part black to match my truck. What is the best way to paint this boat and I am open to all suggestions as this is new to me.

Boat001.jpg

Boat002.jpg

TIA

Brett

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Best Paint for this??

Before you go sanding it to prior to painting it, I would try waxing a spot with a cleaner wax. And if that only makes it look okay but not great try some polishing compound then wax with a slow speed buffer.

You might discover it don't need no painting after all.

Unless you really want it black no matter what.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

One step further to the compound is using a fine grit wet sand on it before the compound. Thats what I did to my boat which was in about the same shape as your as far as the finish is concerned anyway. I dont have the grit numbers handy but you can find some threads on iboats and other places on how to do it. Let me know if you cant find any info and I'll check the paper i have and let you know the grit I used.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

You may be able to restore this if you are not really set on painting it black but I would use a good marine paint NOT latex if you really want to paint it.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And after all is done with the boat dont forget about the trailer. It needs some TLC too. :)

Cptkid570

Ensign

Interlux Brightsides or Perfection would be a choice. From what I've read about Interlux Toplac, that may be a good paint too.

This company sells marine paint for about 1/2 the price as Interlux

www.ipaint.us/blwapoto.html

I bought some paint from them but haven't tried it yet.

D445547

Cadet

One step further to the compound is using a fine grit wet sand on it before the compound. Thats what I did to my boat which was in about the same shape as your as far as the finish is concerned anyway. I dont have the grit numbers handy but you can find some threads on iboats and other places on how to do it. Let me know if you cant find any info and I'll check the paper i have and let you know the grit I used.

I used to do body work and can tell you for sure that you may use a fine grit sandpaper but then your really getting into some serious buffing time and it's really not necessary. BTW the grit to be used would be no finer than 1500. Just get a good high-speed buffer and some quality rubbing compound and you will be set to go. I get my supplies from detailking.com, just as an FYI.