water flow question

b_lish1966

Seaman Apprentice
No one answered his question, since water is not coming the two small holes just below the cowling is there a problem. I'd like to know because I'm having the same problem.

Fired up my johnson a couple days ago, but did not see any water coming out of the two small exhaust holes just below the cowling, seems like a small bit did spit out of there last year, this motor does not have a pee hole. I did see plenty of water coming out of the prop though, my question is should I be concerned or no.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water flow question

your motor has a tale tell (pee hole) looking from the back on the under side of the right rear is the outlet, run a weed eater string up it. 99% it is clogged. the holes on the back of the motor, are exhaust relief ports for when the motor is idling in the water, you may get some water there. if you have to follow the hose to the block and disconnect to clear it. then try to run it again. if you don't have water then, you either have a major blockage, or you impeller is shot.

b_lish1966

Seaman Apprentice

There is a outlet where you speak of but there has never been a hose connected to it. where should i look for the connection for the tell tale outlet.

iwombat

Captain

Depends on the motor (whatcha got?). But, most have a fitting on the exhaust cover.

b_lish1966

Seaman Apprentice

I started it up again today on muffs, used infrared gun to check temp, ran for a total of maybe 10 minutes mostly at idle and it did get fairly hot based on gun readings, some temp readings as high as 230. starting removing the lower unit to replace water pump and of course i'm having hard time getting it to drop, have removed all the bolts and still won't drop, what am i missing.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Did you disconnect the shift rod? That is likely what you missed.

Again, what is your model number or year of manufacture and hp?

b_lish1966

Seaman Apprentice

I think i disconnected the shift rod, i think i missed a bolt inside the cavity behind the trim tab. it's a 1980 70hp johnson.

b_lish1966

Seaman Apprentice

alright got the LU off but the impeller doesn't want slide off the shaft, what am i missing here.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

some times the they will stick .try a little longer but sometimes you have to carefully cut one off with a dremel tool
good luck bennyb

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was about to make a thread similar to this. I just bought a boat and it has a 1956 Johnson Javelin 30hp motor on it..i cleaned the carb and patched the fuel tank so it will hold pressure...

now that i have it running it sputters a bit but not to bad...However i put it in a big tub of water and let it run for a few minutes and it seems exhaust is coming out of both holes on the back of the motor...(right above the prop and the other half way up on the back towards the motor) NO WATER at all is coming out of any where that i can see and the water splashing up on the boot is sizzling off its so hit..

is there supposed to be water coming out some where? This is my first boat and i have no idea what i am doing.. :)

CATransplant

Admiral

Please start a new thread. Your question won't get noticed in someone else's thread. Be sure to give the year and hp of your outboard in the title, along with a keyword, like cooling. That'll attract the experts.

b_lish1966

Seaman Apprentice

Got everything back together tonight and fired her up, seems the temps are where they should be but, I noticed a stream of water coming out just above where the LU attached to the mid section, I don't remember this before. This stream of water was on the backside, is this normal.