Difficult flywheel finally removed ...question?

mercuryman48

Seaman Apprentice
finally got the flywheel (or actually just the flywheel hub after removing the 8 little bolts and removing flywheel first) removed ...would like to thank everyone, particularly FAZTBULLET, for their input...as faztbullet suggested i had to use a socket over the crankshaft end since it was partially fractured off and the puller would not seat correctly. anyway, i placed the socket and then installed the puller and tightened it up good ...hub wouldnt move so i taped and tightened the puller a couple times and it still wouldnt break free... so i tightened the puller a little more and then i took a 3/8 extension bar about 20 inches long and placed the square end under the lip of the hub and at an upward angle tapped the bar with a hammer and it popped right off !!!!!!!!!!...hooray !...question is...could this have hurt the bearings or something.....geesh !...lot of work to replace a timing belt !...thanks again guys...forgot, my flywheel hub didnt have just one keeway...it had many splines like a prop does

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Difficult flywheel finally removed ...question?

Don't panic. If you look closely, you'll notice that one spline is missing. That's the keyway.

hope it helps
John

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Difficult flywheel finally removed ...question?

Doubtful if any damage occured!!! Make sure you retime flywheel so all your dots/line line up for timing .