Flywheel Removal Problem

mercuryman48

Seaman Apprentice
In solving my previous timing issue i discovered that whoever removed the flywheel before managed to break off part of the cupped area on the crankshaft where the flywheel puller shaft would screw down on. I cant get any puller to fit well enough to get the flywheel removed . Is there any other way to get the flywheel off ? ..its the type with the 8 little bolts ....would some sort of slide hammer type of puller work ? ...thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel Removal Problem

Set a 3/8 drive socket over crankshaft to give you a flat area, put a solid washer over square hole in socket so puller doesnt go in it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have used a Harmonic Balancer puller on that kind of flywheel. I used 3 long 5/16' fine thread bolts with washers to replace 3 of the red bolts. Why is it you want to pull the flywheel?

mercuryman48

Seaman Apprentice

Reason i need to pull flywheel is to replace the timing belt which was very worn. Dont see any other way to get the belt onto the pully. The boat motor gods seem to give me another problem every time i get one fixed !...lol

mercuryman48

Seaman Apprentice

Set a 3/8 drive socket over crankshaft to give you a flat area, put a solid washer over square hole in socket so puller doesnt go in it.

Thanks, and i will try that. But, since the end of the crankshaft is partially broken off im not sure the socket will set square enough on the crankshaft to allow this to work....any other ideas would be greatley appreaciated