1982 glastron HPV 175

ludacrist62

Cadet
Hello everyone
,,Just when you think you got the upper hand ,,something else kicks me in the face. How in the world do u take the top off of my boat 1982 glastron HPV 175. I got the front loose but the back is still stuck down, what is holding it down and how do i get it loose. Then how do I make sure when I put it back together its safe.
thanks Kenneth

redfury

Commander
Re: 1982 glastron HPV 175

Taking the cap off the hull? Oh, it's tons of fun, let me tell you what! I pulled the cap off my 75 V178. The rear is a pain in such....

What glastron did, at least with mine, is used bedding compound when they put the cap on the transom. This secured the transom and the cap so that there would be no shifting when an engine was placed and avoided cracking the cap from stress. Of course, in order to get cap off, you gotta get through the bedding compound.

What I did was took a sawzall and just started working my way along the transom and kept on cutting. You can gauge pretty well with a sawzall if you are cutting bedding compound or hitting fiberglass.

Once you've gotten a line cut across the transom, then take a wonderbar/prybar and start working it loose.

Then, once you feel it's started to move, take a 2 1/2 - 3ton jack in the bilge area and start pumping ( support the jack point with some plywood so you don't create a stress point in the 'glass ). Put some pressure on it and then get the prybar working again. It'll eventually give - you just have to work it some.