LARSON Hull Problems

1LSUFAN

Cadet
Just wondering if anyone has experienced problems with Larson hulls.

I have a 2006 204 escape with a 150 yamahaOB. Initially severe cracking around the engine mounts and several other stress cracks around the transom area developed over 100hrs of use. Dealer had it repaired under Larson warranty agreement. Once I finally received the boat back I ran it for about 30 min with the cracks reforming in the same place. The service company that performed the work is a very notable fiberglass repair company. Could this be a design issue??

I am at a point where I don't think I want to have the hull repaired anymore just replaced.

** This particular hull was originally design for an inboard configuration. Then Larson started adding the OB model.

Any thoughts???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: LARSON Hull Problems

i think in would ask for new hull.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would agree, new hull, doesnt Larson have a lifetime warranty on any hull issues? We were looking at one and thats something that stuck out with us.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Whatever you do, give Larson a chance to make this right. They may suspect misuse or otherwise and will need to fully investigate all possibilities. If the transom had been repaired per their requirements then I think it is clear that there is a flaw somewhere.

1LSUFAN

Cadet

Whatever you do, give Larson a chance to make this right. They may suspect misuse or otherwise and will need to fully investigate all possibilities. If the transom had been repaired per their requirements then I think it is clear that there is a flaw somewhere.

In the past Larson has been responsive. We will have to see on this one.

I found out today that Larson has stopped production of the OB model.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that would tell me it is a liability, not an asset to them.

1LSUFAN

Cadet

that would tell me it is a liability, not an asset to them.

Maybe- Before the first repair most of the finish molding cracked in half. I was worried about the transom cracking completly off. There was tremdous movement in the transom any time I was over 1/4 throttle. This is suppose to be one of the strongest sections of the hull.

1LSUFAN

Cadet

UPDATE

It looks like a factory screw up on this one. They placed the I/O hull with an OB top. The hull that was used has 1/2 of the normal bracing that an OB hul should have. I am awaiting a official response from Larson on the next step. My dealer thinks they wanted to bring it back to the factory and fix.

We should hear the go forward plan on Monday.

Any sugestions??

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it was the wrong hull in the first place then they shouldn't try to fix it. Tell them you want a new hull, the one designed for the OB.

204 Escape

Ensign

We picked up our 2006 I/O 204 Escape in Aug. '07. The boat had NEVER seen water, EXCEPT rain, before we picked it up. Up on backing it in the water, we were getting things explained to us, about the bilge pump, the fan, in the engine compartment, etc.

I noticed that the bilge pump would not shut off, because it just kept pumping water, out of the bilge compartment. The demo guy, ask me if I had put the plug in. Of course I said yes. The boat was still on the trailer, so we pulled it out, for verification. The plug WAS in. It perplexed me, and the demo guy as well. Well, we took the boat for a test drive anyhow, because I'd driven 100 miles to pick it up. Upon riding around the lake the pump shut off, and there was no water left in the compartment.

The bottom line, we left the NEW boat there, and agreed to pick it up the next week. The problem was this.( Remember, I'm not a mecanic, so I will try to explain it to you as best I can). There is a shroud around the engine where it comes out of the hull. Inside the shroud is the bolts that help afix the engine to the hull. One of them was NEVER installed at the factory. BUT, you couldn't tell that without removing the shroud.

Our dealer was red faced, and he told me that he would make it right with us. AND, he did !!!!!!! He filled the boat up with fuel. (He had already put in 10 gallons, so he added 40 more gallons), and he gave me $125.00 cash for my trouble, plus 20% off anything that I buy for a year from him.

I thought I got treated fair.

salty87

Commander

i really don't like dealing with lawyers but i'd check around for a little help if i were you. i wouldn't want that hull back no matter what repairs were made. even if they reinforce the transom, there have been stresses placed on it that it wasn't designed for. as said above, that's not what you paid for too. maybe larson will take care of it...

Adams

Cadet

My story is dated but my best friend had a Larson tri-hull that he cracked when going over a barge wake on the Tennessee river. He was legal distance but should have not been so close due to size of wake. Bottom line is that boat sank when they got to shore (bilge and hand bailing were able to to keep her afloat until they got to the marina). Larson replaced the entire boat with no push back. I would give Larson a shot to do the right thing. Let us know how it works out.

1LSUFAN

Cadet

Thanks for everyones responses

We should hear something Tomorrow - I will keep you posted

1LSUFAN

Cadet

UPDATE

In addition to the transom cracks my dealer found some additional cuts in the top cap of the boat. It looked liked a miss-cut that was patched with silicon:mad:.

Larson has made the call to get the boat shipped to the factory ASAP They want to conduct an investigation to find out what the hell is going on. Sounds like a major screw up and liability- Someone's most likely in trouble.

I will provide an update as status changes

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have nothing to add, but this is an interesting story. Posting to subscribe. Im curious what they will do for you.

Either way, good luck!

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Posting to subscribe. My 2007 Larson 208 LXi has developed a couple of small cracks on the starboard side (almost directly below the helm). It has about 20 hours on it. I am going to email pics to my dealer and see how we proceed. Since the dealer is 60 miles away I want them to see the problem before I take it to them.

salty87

Commander

have you read the thread about stringer pushing through bottom of boat?

you might consider getting someone to survey and document the boat. once the manu gets it back, its too late. that thread has been going for months with very little progress reported back (not that we always get the full story). if the dealer has it, i'd tell them you're sending someone to document it for your records. fair enough request.

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope everything goes well. Post update as soon as you get one.

1LSUFAN

Cadet

have you read the thread about stringer pushing through bottom of boat?

you might consider getting someone to survey and document the boat. once the manu gets it back, its too late. that thread has been going for months with very little progress reported back (not that we always get the full story). if the dealer has it, i'd tell them you're sending someone to document it for your records. fair enough request.

I have read it - Thanks
I did have the hull xrayed prior to delivering to the dealer. I kept all the documentation for legal purposes. The stress cracks were very apparent in the xray images.

I will have to say that my dealer has been very responsive and so has Larson-so far. I was contacted directly by Larson within 48 hours once they were notifiied.

So far the reponses have been acceptable.

Nandy

Commander

You can subscribe without posting. Use the thread tools at the top frame of the original post.
Good luck sir.