trailer bunk question

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in need of replacing my bunks. I had thought about using those plastic type 2 x 4s but after launching my new (new to me anyway) boat recently, I realized it launches very easily. Anyway, my bunks are 2 x 4 carpeted. The brackets that hold them in place are c shaped and cradle the bunk. The bottom of the bracket looks to have some type of serrated edge that bites into the bunk. On each side, there are holds for a screw/nail. The bunks now are carpeted OVER the bracket so the 2 x 4s must have been installed first and then carpeted over. I'd like to get 2 new bunks set up and ready to go and then re-install the bunks and screw small lag bolts in from each side to secure the bunk.

My question is (and it may not matter) ...is there a preferred way? I can't see that it matters myself but thought I'd ask.

Also, the side guides have the carriage bolt going through the carpet so it is exposed. In the past, I have always done those with the carriage bolt on the INSIDE of the carpet so the metal doesn't touch the boat. Again, it probably doesn't matter in the case with an aluminum boat but is there a preferred way?

Thank you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trailer bunk question

you can recess the bolts on the sides. keep the carpet inside, so you can tell the overall condition of the bracket. i have seen a lot of broken rusty, brackets at the ramps, some holed boats because of them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Also, the side guides have the carriage bolt going through the carpet so it is exposed. In the past, I have always done those with the carriage bolt on the INSIDE of the carpet so the metal doesn't touch the boat. Again, it probably doesn't matter in the case with an aluminum boat but is there a preferred way?

As long as the carriage bolt is recessed below the surface of the guide it should be OK. When I redid my side guides, I replaced the single carriage bolt with 4 lag screws, making sure that the screws were short enough not to go through the thickness of the wood.

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tashasdaddy.. not sure I understand how you mean to "recess" the bolts on the side. If I keep the carpet on the inside of the bracket I will just screw in the lag bolts from the side first going through the bracket, then the carpet, then the wood. Is that what you mean? My previous boat had lag bolts you screwed in from the bottom but these brackets don't have holes on the bottom. They actually have what looks to be little spikes that bite directly into the wood on the bottom. On the sides, there are just 2 small holes. The existing bunks just have nails in these holes. I was planning to wrap the carpet all the way around the bunks but I will leave the glue out of this area in case I need to cut away some of the carpet when I go to install them. Its seems to be one of those things you may have to change the plan as you go.

bruce...I think I will go with that plan for the side guides. (Slightly countersinking a hole for the head of the cariage bolt in the side guides and put the bolt in after carpet has been applied. That way I will have access to the head in case they start spinning down the road and could install a slightly bigger bolt to buy some more time.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i thought you were thru bolting, rather than lags from outside.