4.3 from 90 gm truck good for boat?

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
I 've come across a freshly rebuilt 4.3 from a 90 gm. It is also well priced. i've got a 96 in my boat with a cracked block. my old engine is the early vortec with balance shaft and 12 intake bolts. my timing cover used 6 bolts, but the block was drilled and tapped for ten. casting number 196

this new engine is a roller cam engine without a balance shaft. it includes the timing cover (10 bolts) and uses 12 bolt for the intake. my ex manifolds are still good and i have all accesories from my original engine. don't have casting number yet, but should have in an hour or so.

my question is : will this work in my boat? what issues should i expect?

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3 from 90 gm truck good for boat?

also what else should i check before i buy it?(other than condition of engine, more like issues with fit and such.)

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

casting number of new engine is 061

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

am i correct in thinking this is the wide intake? was this engine ever used in marine so as i can find a marine intake?

Bondo

Staff member

will this work in my boat?

Ayuh,.....

It should be a Plug & Play motor......

Your old Intake will bolt right on....

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

thank you. i was on rapido' marine's site, and they list casting numbers and what it is, and it lists the 061 as a wide intake.

IIRC, all 4.3 are 90 degree v's so all intakes should be the same no?

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

hope to have a look today. will take my mainfold and see if it fits.

wildcat111

Recruit

Can you go the other way as in I have a 95 4.3 vortec and was wondering if I could go to a 2000 4.3 vortec out of a s-10?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

To the Best of My knowledge,.... It's All about the Heads,+ their Intake Bolt Pattern.......
Regardless of what the valve covers might say on them,....
There's the Vortec headed motors with the 8 bolt pattern,+ the Pre-Vortecs with the 12 bolt pattern.....
I've never heard of a Wide, or narrow Intake,......

Btw,...... Wildcat,..... Welcome Aboard to the forums here at iboats.com,.......

You'll do Alot Better with answers,+ whatnot by starting Your Own thread, instead of hy-jacking a question onto somebody else's thread.....

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

well after a close inspection of the motor, it looks as thoiugh everything is a go. no such thing as a awide intake.