Bad bearing in a distributor

bucchb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1973 85hp Merc. Was running strong, and it seems to have developed a bad bearing in the section moved by the "C" spring.

Any experience on changing? Suggestions comments?

Thanks in advance.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bad bearing in a distributor

Most of the bearings are still available. And not too pricey.

Many times when the bearing goes out the rotor will hook the cap and start breaking stuff.

Or, as I have found out taking it apart can sometimes cause issues, like breaking the pickup.

A broken rotor, or pickup can run the price of repair through the roof.

Grab the manual, tear it down and check it out. Price parts and decide.

Sometimes ebay or a local used parts source for a used distributor can be easier and less expensive. But then again used parts usually carry no guarantee.

bucchb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I just located a couple for about $125 delivered. One in particular is "well lubed, and maintained"

I have come to the conclusion that I know have nothing to loose by trying to take the old one apart.

I have heard that these are considered to be a negative in the design. Rather than trash it I may want to try to have a rebuilt spare???

I have rebuilt Evinrude magnetos and I think you can get a bearing (if you can read the number) from NAPA or an industrial bearing suppy house for a fraction of the price???

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

The only way those bearings get "well lubed" is by full disassembly, cleaning and greasing by hand.

So to believe that one, you may be getting lubed yourself.

A quick spin by hand will give you a general indication of the bearings current condition, but still no guarantee there's still grease in them, or their life expectancy.

Some collector/users of vintage Mercs consider these regular maintenance items.

PS, many of the bearings used in older Mercurys seem to be just a "little special", and I find by the time I track down the bearing elsewhere, or find out what the "little special" part about them is, and their "little special" part number my time is much better spent MAYBE dropping a couple extra dollars and buying OEM at the dealer.

At least for me, the days of buying bearings at the bearing store or NAPA at discount have long past.

bucchb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great, and thanks for the info.

Sounds like I need to "experiment" disassembly on the one with the tight bearing to see if I can fix and have as a spare.

This will also give me experience for when I need to do a "begining of the season" lube job.

ps I just bought what looks like an actual Mercury Service Manual on disc at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=300214976668&rd=1