Question on HP of my motor

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1990 7.4L M/C. There is no HP identifier on the flamearrester cover, and when I bought the boat, I was told it was 300hp, but im in the process of replacing my Carbs and I dont see anything referencing a 300hp 7.4L Could this be 330hp?

Also, anyone heard of FlyingfishCarburetors.com? AKA (http://www.marinecarburetor.com) If so what? or can you recommend another reputable carburetor rebuilding location. Flyingfish has the QJet for $218.00 each... sound pretty good to me.

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question on HP of my motor

Riverjet502, thanks for the feedback but I'm not looking to make them high performance, just original equipment specs, just looking for a reliable company to do business with.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

I can't help you with any Info on carb Rebuilders,....
But Merc went to their Merc/ Weber Carter AFB Clone carbs shortly after you're motors were built....

Swapping on a Edlebrock 750cfm Performer carb would give you the Exact Same set up as Merc went to.....
I believe it's a Plug & Play up-grade.....
They're reasonably inexpensive,+ would probably price out just Slightly higher than having your old Rottenchesters rebuilt.....

Btw,..... I also believe your motors are known as the 330hp motors....

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bond-o, I'd prefer to think of the as 330hp anyways.... as for the carburators, I'll check it out...

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bond-o, I'd prefer to think of the as 330hp anyways.... as for the carburators, I'll check it out...

Well, lets see, different fuel line hookup, square to spreadbore adapter plate, questionable throttle linkage attachment and orientation... While it might be a very good solution, for the extra $100 or so per, I'll get the Q-Jet rebuilt and eliminate any variations to the design... Thanks anyways for the suggestion.