Forward shift issue

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a 1978 75HP motor that has an intermitting forward shift issue. Sometimes it shifts into forward and sometimes it does'nt. I can go into reverse everytime. Sometimes the shift will stay in the reverse state even thought I am in nuetral. it seems as if it doesn't pull the shift back and just doesn't want to go forward. Out of the blue it will start working again. Example: this past Saturday it was fine all day. I was showing my wife how to shift while the engine was off. When we went to leave, it would not shift forward. I went how and when I went to flush the motor with the hose attachment to run water throught the engine, the motor did shift into forward. Can anybody please help? I would really appreciate it. I don't know where to look first since this does not always happen. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Sal

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Forward shift issue

probably bad shift cable. disconnect the shift cable at the motor , and manually shift it. if it works correctly, bad cable.

GatorMike

Ensign

I was thinking maybe the shift rod height was adjusted just a little high. Have you had the lower unit off reciently? If so did you turn the shift rod while it was off? It wouldn't take but a turn or two to make it favor reverse. Just a thought.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not taken the lower unit off. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't I put it in forward and then manually pull the shifter on the motor forward manually.. It just wierd how it intermitts. Does anybody have any detailed pictures, drawings, video on how to work on these cables?

thanks

Sal