tach question for 1987 88SPL

snookuda

Recruit
I want to add a tachometer to a 1987 88SPL outboard engine. Can someone suggest a common tach like teleflex that they know will work with my engine. I dont think most of the teleflex tach's will work without special wireing harnesses, which i was trying to stay away from. One tach suggested was #53743P which is a international tach. They said it would work on the 20 pole alternator engine. Does anyone know if a 1987 88SPL is a 20 pole alternator engine?

thanks,
snookuda

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: tach question for 1987 88SPL

No -- you do not have a 20 pole alternator. You have a 12-pole (6 pulse) alternator. 20 pole is the odd-ball and why it probably costs more. Any Teleflex/Faria outboard tach will work for your engine. If you look at your control box just below the key you will find a three pin connector. That connector provides +12V, Ground, and sense connections for the tach. the internal light is connected to the light terminal on the any of the other gauges. Yes -- you need the special harness to connect to that connector, but you can make your own harness with ring terminals for the tach end and with male pins from Radio Shack for the control box end.

snookuda

Recruit

Im not sure what you mean when you say "look at your control box just below the key you will find a three pin connector"?

I dont have any control box, unless you are refering to the keyswitch. Can you please elaborate?

Thanks,
snookuda

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the control box is what contains the shift/throttle lever, ingition switch, etc. on the right of this console.
MVC-850S-1.jpg