lower unit bolt broken

Barracuda101

Seaman Apprentice
I have a slight problem. I broke one of the bolts holding the lower unit. it just happens to be the one directly above the prop shaft it's that realy long one. I have drilled and drilled tried to use an extractor i'm to the point now that I can't drill straight because the prop shaft is in the way. my question is how do you remove the prop shaft and does the whole thing come out or just the top piece that has the bearings it? oh 1990 evinrude 140. I replaced the impeller on the second motor no problem but I have never taken out a prop shaft Please help

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: lower unit bolt broken

you need an OEM Evinrude manual, and good mechanical ability. some special tools.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It will be much easier to remove the bolt when the gearcase is off. What is preventing that from happening?

Barracuda101

Seaman Apprentice

I have tried to get it off but the smooth part of that bolt is frozen in there.
I hit it with a rubber hammer, heated it and drilled it but it still won't break free. I don't want to break the fins by hitting it to hard. Any sugestions would be helpful.

Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you have removed the seven bolts including the head of the one that has broken and if the shift rod is free, you should have some separation at the front of the gearcase.

That should enable you to rotate the gearcase very slightly from side to side at the front. Continuing to do that will eventually free the smooth part of the bolt from the gearcase.

Barracuda101

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, ezeke I'll try that and see what happens, Thanks for your help

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Barracuda, I feel your frustration, but there just isn't any easy non-destructive way. That sucker is really, really tight in there or it wouldn't have twisted off. You really had to horse on that big tough bolt to break it, didn't you? But that's all in the past and too late to do anything about it now. Your only hope now is heat, lots of heat and pry. I have tools I made from chisels which I have ground down to knife thickness that I use to separate parts like that. Yes, it will bugger up the castings, but luck is with you--it's not a catastrophe if it leaks.

Hammering on the plate is not going to help a thing and will probably break it. There's too much mass there to move with a hammer.

I wish you luck.