battery hook up question

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
mercruier, 2007, mpi. in a chapparelle boat.
the switches for the batteries have directions
1) turn on engine battery switch
2) turn on house battery switch
3) turn off emergency parrallel switch

for some reason if i have the switches set up according to those steps the engine won't turn over. I have power at the key switch and through the key switch. Now if i turn on the emergency parrallel switch i can turn over the engine and everything works correctly. i was just wondering how that goes about happening. shouldn't the engine be able to run with just the engine switch on?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: battery hook up question

It appears you have a wiring problem on the engine switch or its battery. Paralleling the two systems puts the house battery on-line with the start battery so the engine starts. Check the cable connections on the start battery and at the switch. Don't just look at them. Remove them, clean them, and tighten them securely. You may also have a bad start battery. Measure the voltage at the battery while someone is holding the key in the START position. If it drops way down you have a bad battery or bad connection. You can measure 12V at the key but with bad connections, the system is not able to pass the high current load demanded by the starter.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

It should unless it`s wired wrong.Are you sure the switches are wired to those functions described?you could be missing a ground cable at the neg side of the batteries and all 3 negatives should be hooked together

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a question

Has it ever started with the switches in this position before??

Has any work been performed in the engine since the last time it started??

Has the starting bat been checked?? (more than 12v)

If the engine has started before and nothing else has changed then there is most likely no wiring problem
wires do not just move themselves

Harry

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey guys thanks for the replies. turns out under the heat shrink near the eye of the negative battery cable the wire came loose, put it back securely and after that it worked fine. thanks again