1993/94 30hp Evinrude Impellar?

Nanookofnj

Recruit
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Last fall we experienced a clogged pisser valve on our 93Evi 30hp outboard. We had run it for about 5 or 10 minutes before we noticed it was clogged and cleared it on the water and it ran fine.

Since then, there's been a knocking sound in the lower unit when the motor is in Forward, never in reverse.

A buddy of mine mentioned to me this weekend that chances are it is the impellar. As unnecessary strain may have been put on it when the pisser was not moving water. He also said that the impellar needs to be replaced each year. This is a 93 that hasn't had an issue until now, and I've never heard of changing the impellar.

Can anyone give an estimate onto what an impellar kit would run, and if it would be something we could fix ourselves.

Thanks again. Nanook

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993/94 30hp Evinrude Impellar?

water pump kit is $50 +-. not a hard job, disconnect shift linkage, remove lower unit bolts, there is one under the trim tab. drop the lower, 4 screws on the pump housing, besure to replace the gromets from the kit. oring on top of drive shaft. realign shift linkage, and water tube. bolt up connect shift linkage.

yes, for insurance they should be changed at least every 2 years. but a guys just did his for the first time, on a 29 year old motor. he just got real lucky.

Nanookofnj

Recruit
Re: 1993/94 30hp Evinrude Impellar?

Thank you for the info. If the pisser is cranking water out strongly, is it safe to say there is no problem with the water pump itself?

Also, where is the best place to get schematics for a 93/94 Evi 30hp? The only thing we got from the marina when we got the boat/motor was a users manual, not the service manual. Thanks again. Nanook