People aren't honest anymore

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My wife and i went to a local pizza restaurant and had dinner last week. Two day's later i was at work and happened to look at the passenger side of my Blazer and noticed that someone hit the passenger door in the parking lot of the pizza place. They did about $400.00 worth of damage which is right under my $500.00 deductable. They hit it good. Not just a door ding or scratch. The bad thing is, is that the pizza place has no cameras and we were parked in a spot right next to the carry out spot. People aren't honest enough to let you know that they did that kind of damage to someones vehicle. I definitly would have told somebody if i had done damage to there vehicle. That's what insurance is for. They proably didn't have any and knew the damage was going to cost them. I told my wife that it will haunt them one day because karma's a -----. Now i am out of a vehicle for 3 day's and spending $400.00 out of pocket for someone else's mistake. Any body reading this that has hit and ran before better watch out because, the man upstairs see's it all and you will be held accountable for your actions one day.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: People aren't honest anymore

One person, one event, isn't "people".

I was in a seminar years ago. A cop came into the room looking for the driver of a silver Mercedes. That was me.

A woman had nudged my car and cracked a tail-light. She called the cops (hotel security) and insisted they find me. It took them nearly an hour to find me.

The tail-light lens was something like $50. She sent me a letter of apology as well as paying for my new tail-light.

tommays

Admiral

Lets put it this way MY truck has 5 dings from parking lot friends in 5 years MY sons has two in 10 months

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I got whacked this winter pretty good. Probably 7-800 bucks in damage... When it gets a little warmer I have to go and pull/glass/bondo/primer/paint my rear quarter panel and hope for the best.... Its pretty hard to match black on a 10 year old car.
Nobody said anything... just went out into the parking lot and found it that way.

BF

Lieutenant

What caught my eye was how you noticed the damage at a glance 2 days later, but your wife got in and out of that side of your blazer without noticing any damage. Are you also married to my wife??? :)

I was on the other side of this last December... backed into a parked car in an overstuffed parking lot. It was -20 something outside, so both my rear bumper and their front bumper cracked. I felt bad and left a note on their windshield. But, within 1/2 hour of leaving them the note I had already called our mutual insurance company (all cars are insured through a provincially owned insurance company here), and told them I was 100% at fault. At least that way when the other guy called to report the damage, there was already a note that liability had been assessed, and his deductible would be waived immediately. Still would be a PITA for them getting repairs done. Anyway my first time ever being at fault in 26 years of driving.... BTW, it feels much better to have the moral high ground of not being at fault! But just driving away ?!? not an option. They never did call me, but I wished they had so I could've apologized.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BF

I guess I am old school. I always open doors for my wife, car, building, etc.
I would have noticed it before I opened the door for her. Of course, I would also have been foaming at the mouth over the damage. Since we don't have loans on our vehicles (they are old, like us), the deductible would have been irrelevant. I would have had to pay for it anyway. On the plus side if I didn't get it fixed, my truck would be less of a target while parked at a boat ramp.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

One year a woman hit my boat trailer smashing up one of the fenders real bad,,,,,,she left a note on the windshield of the tow. "Sorry for hitting your old boat trailer. I will be glad to pay for any damage that was caused by me."

I hammered it out on the spot, called her once I got home and told her I didn't need any compensation, but Thanks for leaving the note.........She still wanted to send me something for her wrong doing, but I insisted that it wasn't needed, but thanks anyway.

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What caught my eye was how you noticed the damage at a glance 2 days later, but your wife got in and out of that side of your blazer without noticing any damage. Are you also married to my wife??? :)

I was on the other side of this last December... backed into a parked car in an overstuffed parking lot. It was -20 something outside, so both my rear bumper and their front bumper cracked. I felt bad and left a note on their windshield. But, within 1/2 hour of leaving them the note I had already called our mutual insurance company (all cars are insured through a provincially owned insurance company here), and told them I was 100% at fault. At least that way when the other guy called to report the damage, there was already a note that liability had been assessed, and his deductible would be waived immediately. Still would be a PITA for them getting repairs done. Anyway my first time ever being at fault in 26 years of driving.... BTW, it feels much better to have the moral high ground of not being at fault! But just driving away ?!? not an option. They never did call me, but I wished they had so I could've apologized.

My wife usually doesn't ride in this vehicle. She drives our new car. Go figure. The passenger side is rarely used and that's why i didn't notice it for two days. When we left the restaurant it was dark in parking lot with no light's and that's proably why she didn't see it that night.Also JB, i know all people are not like this but i say people in general because this is not the first time this has happened to me. It is about the fourth time. My wife and i were hit on the express way at 70mph by some idiot who hit and ran. That damage was about $4,000 dollars which insurance paid for after i paid deductible and went through the hassel of dealing with the factory body shop to get repair done right. I wouldn't be to upset if this was the only occasion this has happened but it isn't. Tommays, this was not a ding or scratch. I can deal with the usual door ding or scratch i have a few and have had many on past vehicles. Oh well, it could alway's be worse. It could have been my 2008 Accord parked there that the wife drives. She would have been as upset as i am if it were the vehicle she drove every day, but she doesn't really care a whole lot because she doesn't drive it. Luckily i use the blazer to drive to work and haul the boat, but i am pretty picky and detailed when it comes to taking care of my cars and the blazer being a 2001 was in excellent shape.