Anyone use them??

zach103

Commander
I was lookin into a spotlight or driving lights for my boat, just in case i need them... does anyone ever use them or even have either of the two??

thankss

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anyone use them??

If you want to lose vision at night using high powered lights is a good way to do it. For docking they are ok -- for navigation do not use them. You limit your own vision and blind others coming at you. The same blasted thing happens when the mine is bigger than yours crowd adds them to their jacked up trucks and don't properly aim them and then use them in heavy traffic where they are illegal.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Silvertip, but. . . .

When I lived on Lake Minnetonka and boated and fished at night a lot I often had to go through narrow channels and there were many unlighted boats and drunken operators about. I carried a handheld flood (not spot) aboard for self preservation. I only used it to avoid collisions.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did a lot of early morning lake running going duck hunting and I would have to agree JB. I used a 12 volt spotlight to locate where I wanted to be in relation to the shore or docking, then turn it off and proceed. That bright light seemed to just screw up my night vision, and it never seems to be pointing where you want to look.

ziggy

Admiral

like silvertip says, a spotlight will make ya loose yer night vision. that said. i have a portable 12v spotlight onboard. don't use it often. but when i do need it (mostly for docking), it's a most valuable tool......