Yamaha EL40 40hp gear case issues

SiLiconD17

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I just got done dropping the lower unit and replacing the impeller and water pump housing gasket. I got the gear shifter linkage put back together just how it was before, and it seemed like the splines on the driveshaft met up with what was above. When I run it, it will go into reverse fine and then back into neutral, but it seems whenever you go into forward there is a delay until it shifts, and when you bring it back to neutral it makes a grinding noise pretty bad. I even noticed sometimes it didn't seem to go into neutral and still seemed to be in gear even with the control in neutral. It seems to be grinding like one of the splines aren't catching or something when you put it into forward and take it back out. If you manually rotate the prop with your hand (turned off obviously haha), it makes a clicking noise. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha EL40 40hp gear case issues

When reinstalling be sure on a Yamaha that both the gearcase and shifter are in neutral.

SiLiconD17

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha EL40 40hp gear case issues

Should I go ahead and drop the lower unit again, make sure it's in neutral and that the control is in neutral, then reinstall? Thanks for the info.