Custom sterio system

Dreenn

Cadet
Hey guys just wondering if any of you have sterio systems in your boats i'm thinking of haveing one put in maybe just a 12" woffer on a 500 watt amp and adding a few mids and highs if anyone has anything please post a picture or let me know about what type of audio equipment is good for marine products

thanks in advance i know someone out there has one

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Custom sterio system

I have a 1000 watt system with two 12" Subs and a bunch of two ways, three ways and some separate tweeters. We have a nice boat and the stereo is mentioned most often as a feature by friends and family. I can run them wide open (the boat and the stereo), thru-transom exhaust and I can hear it fine. Before anybody blasts me, we are respectful of others . . .

My biggest recommendations are make sure you have a remote input for iPods etc, mount the Power Amp where it can get some decent airflow, and run at least two batteries. Mine are all standard automotive stuff, Pioneer head, can't remember whose Power Amp and some high end speakers. I bought her used, so not sure about the individual brand names. It was a professional install and they did a pretty good job, massive fuse at the battery switch, proper impedance, etc.

205yse0.jpg

This pic shows the two ways and separate tweeters. In the "cubby" on the right side of the pic is the Power Amp and one sub. The amp gets too hot in there and starts to balk sometimes. The other sub is in the opposite cubby . . . There are two 6 x 9 three ways under the rear bench facing forward, and two more two ways in the bow. There is a total of 4 separate "stereo sets" and a grand total of 14 speakers, counting the tweeters and subs. We absolutely love it, and in the middle of the rear bench it is as good as super high end headphones. Go for it!!!

Dreenn

Cadet

wow thats nice umm.. i have a question for ya though you say your useing standard car stuff i have 3 1000 watt swiss audio amps was wondering what kind of issues i would run into useing a car amp in a boat

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

we just installed the jensen marine stereo in our bowrider - put two bose marine speaker in the sidewalls in the console. sounds great - and we thought we'd need the other two speakers run from the back, but we're so happy with the sound - we're going to put those speakers in our steamroom.

i agree with QC - a remote is necessary. i would also recommend a gimbal mount for the unit - we got ours through iboats. it houses and mounts the stereo unit and has a watertight seal to help keep out the moisture and dirt.you can also moutn it into your console it you have room - we didn't.

as for our stereo - what i like about our jensen is that the faceplate comes off and we can take it with us without worrying about theft (too much). and it has a cd player - although we both have ipods and dont really need to lug our cd collection. mp3 is the best way of getting all of you music on board.

QC- how do you run your pods? do you have the jmount or are you using the wireless tuner? just curious.

QC

Supreme Mariner

We have used an RF/wireless transmitter and I don't like it . . . Fir iPods it seems OK, but the one I got for our Sansas is crappy. There is one a good side to the RF deal though, if we are rafted up with another boat we can use the RF to transmit same mix to both boats. We have a 10 CD changer and one in the Tuner behind the faceplate, but the wife is always biotching about her mix etc. and that "I'm tired of that CD" . . . Also, with Real Rhapsody it is a lot cheaper to download to a player than to burn CDs. Downloads to the Sansas are included in the monthly fee.

Dreenn

Cadet

hey QC you say your are useing automative products how are you proctecting then from the wearther i'm thinking about use a car amp also thanks alot for the info

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dreen,

I run two 600 watt Sony amps mounted on the vertical, in the helms footwell. Make sure you have enough air movement to keep the amps cool though. Another benefit to having them mounted there is they stay dry (they are automotive). My head unit is also automotive, a Pioneer unit with MP3 jacks, and set-up to receive a wired remote.

Because we do a lot of tubing and swimming off our boat, I use marine rated speakers and sub. The sub is tucked under the footwell of the passenger seat. One of the things I have done is to set up removeable water-proof box speakers for the swim platform for when we are anchored. The wife likes them because the volume in the boat doesn't have to be turned up for the swimmers to hear the tunes.

And I, like QC, am respectful of others when listening to the tunes. I also like to be able to run wide open and still hear the clarity of a nicely tuned sound system.

Let us know what you're looking to spend, and we'll be happy to help spend your boat bucks. :D

Doug

Dreenn

Cadet

haha yeah i bet everyone is willing to spend my money LOL well i'm going to use one of my 1000 watt car amps to power the subs and i'm looking at getting 2 10" subs tucked underneight the rear bench seat and 2 set of 6 1/2's (one for the stern and one for the bow) and i'll prolly amp those to sets with a 500 wat amp or so

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Automotive gear In your boat is fine as long as you can keep it dry, like QC said his are mounted where they get ample air flow and stay DRY if it gets wet it's garbage.