campfire biscuits

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to try to make biscuits and gravy when we go camping this year. Has any one ever made biscuits in a skillet over a campfire. If so how did you go about it. I have seen some recipes on the internet. Seems like there are a lot of different techniques. What are your experiences?

WizeOne

Commander
Re: campfire biscuits

Just use Bisquick mixed with water. Place daubs of it into a greased dutch oven and either hang over your fire or use the appropriate number of coals, both top and bottom, until golden brown. You don't want to let them get too hot or they will burn.

You can also do them in a skillet with hot oil. Deep fry them if you will.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

We always made them in a dutch oven. Shovel out coals for the base, put the oven on the coals, put an upside-down aluminum plate in, then a pan with the biscuits in it, then the lid, then coals on the lid...

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

I want to try to make biscuits and gravy when we go camping this year. Has any one ever made biscuits in a skillet over a campfire. If so how did you go about it. I have seen some recipes on the internet. Seems like there are a lot of different techniques. What are your experiences?
Use half as much water as the bisquik recipe calls for, make the dough in little balls, put 'em on a pointy stick, toast on the fire.

rwise

Captain

The dutch oven is ok if you are only feeding a few people, but get a crowd and you need more than they can produce. You may need a *Wise oven* if you have more than a few folks! Heres how to make one fer yerself! ;) We use trash can lids (the metal ones) with a couple of mods. the top needs no mod the bottom needs at least 3 tabs added to the sides (1/2' by 2" about) to center the top and keep it snug. And legs 3" or so long are nice but not a must have. Now inside this you use a large thin pan (round) we always make biscuits from scratch, no short cut out the box stuff here! Dip them in a bit of bacon grease and fill the pan. Now for cooking we use charcoal, keep some burning, make a bed of charcoal (sorry I am not the biscuit cook I see it but I make the sausage and gravy (this is done in 24" cast iron skillet) place bottom lid on coals, pan in bottom, cover with lid and place a burning charcoal on top about every 3" I have eaten biscuits from these ovens for many years we have 2 of them and 4 pans to fit inside! Now if it cooks to fast use less charcoal, if it doesn't brown well use more, just like a dutch oven! But then when my family gets together theres a bunch of us.:cool: Enjoy it y'all!

Last edited:

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

You want a dutch oven. I am not suggesting that you might want to look into it, but am actually informing you that you indeed do want one. :D

You will never run out of things to cook in one - biscuits, cobblers, pizza, stew, donuts, etc etc. I could max out the word limit with a list of what you can make in them. The old scout trick for making biscuits is to line the bottom with rocks, then put a layer of aluminum foil in. Put the biscuits in, and if I am not mistaken, 8 coals on the bottom, and 10 on the top should be good for a 12 inch oven, when making these. But don't hold me on that - been almost a year since I made biscuits.

BF

Lieutenant

The dutch oven is ok if you are only feeding a few people, but get a crowd and you need more than they can produce. You may need a *Wise oven* if you have more than a few folks! Heres how to make one fer yerself! ;) We use trash can lids (the metal ones) with a couple of mods. the top needs no mod the bottom needs at least 3 tabs added to the sides (1/2' by 2" about) to center the top and keep it snug. And legs 3" or so long are nice but not a must have. Now inside this you use a large thin pan (round) we always make biscuits from scratch, no short cut out the box stuff here! Dip them in a bit of bacon grease and fill the pan. Now for cooking we use charcoal, keep some burning, make a bed of charcoal (sorry I am not the biscuit cook I see it but I make the sausage and gravy (this is done in 24" cast iron skillet) place bottom lid on coals, pan in bottom, cover with lid and place a burning charcoal on top about every 3" I have eaten biscuits from these ovens for many years we have 2 of them and 4 pans to fit inside! Now if it cooks to fast use less charcoal, if it doesn't brown well use more, just like a dutch oven! But then when my family gets together theres a bunch of us.:cool: Enjoy it y'all!

Hey wise... I'm intrigued by your oven thingy... let me see if I got it right. You take 2 garbage can lids. To one, you add 3 tabs that stick out from the lip. I'm guessing that you'd pop rivet or bolt on some little strips of aluminum or steel strapping or something. (?) These things keep the lips of the 2 lids together when you make a clam-shell out 'em. Then you put a pizza pan or something like that inside and bake away like it was a dutch oven. Does the pan just sit on the bottom inside, or do you use some spacer to keep it off the bottom? You said legs are nice but not needed. I'm guessin' the best ones would be really short stubby ones, so that it still sits on the coals (?) Have you ever tried adding a little BBQ thermometer to the lid? I'd imagine that should work to keep the guesswork out of the number of coals.

Have you ever tried baking pizza in 'em?

We're going on a camping trip with some families in June, and I'm sure I'd make a big impression if I could make "garbage can pizza" :) My friend bought a fancy $200 coleman folding grill last fall and is dying to try it out (and impress us) with it on this trip. I think me cooking in a couple garbage can lids would trump him big time. ;)

Xcusme

Commander

Well....if you burn the biscuits...the cleanup is easy... Replace the top lid with the inverted trash can...flip the whole mess over and drag it out to the street. :eek:

Just a thought...:rolleyes:

rwise

Captain

Hey wise... I'm intrigued by your oven thingy... let me see if I got it right. You take 2 garbage can lids. To one, you add 3 tabs that stick out from the lip. I'm guessing that you'd pop rivet or bolt on some little strips of aluminum or steel strapping or something. (?) These things keep the lips of the 2 lids together when you make a clam-shell out 'em. Then you put a pizza pan or something like that inside and bake away like it was a dutch oven. Does the pan just sit on the bottom inside, or do you use some spacer to keep it off the bottom? You said legs are nice but not needed. I'm guessin' the best ones would be really short stubby ones, so that it still sits on the coals (?) Have you ever tried adding a little BBQ thermometer to the lid? I'd imagine that should work to keep the guesswork out of the number of coals.

Have you ever tried baking pizza in 'em?

We're going on a camping trip with some families in June, and I'm sure I'd make a big impression if I could make "garbage can pizza" :) My friend bought a fancy $200 coleman folding grill last fall and is dying to try it out (and impress us) with it on this trip. I think me cooking in a couple garbage can lids would trump him big time. ;)

You got it, not much to em, we used steel tabs, at least 3 around the edge so they fit like a clam shell. You will also want something to lift the lid with. When your feeding 50 or more folks, one needs a lot fast. You may burn a batch or two so practice a little before the show;) and enjoy!
No spacers I have seen, that could be a good idea though as sometimes the bottoms are a bit crisp (depends on who's cookin)
If you use legs, keep em short so its close to the coals.

I have not made pizza in them but I think they would work great for it.

We have been useing these at our family reunions for 20 years!
they will not replace a dutch oven, but you can whop up one heck of a batch of biscuits in them!​

gss036

Commander

I asked my niece, who is married to a dutchman, she said it doesn't hurt as much if you use a stick. ;-}.