ted williams motor?????

ewals44

Recruit
I was just recently given a 7 HP Ted williams outboard. It has 12 hours on it and is in good condition (as far as i know). Does anyone know anthing about a Ted Williams Engine, Like who made it, is there a place that may be able to check it out. Or, Is it just usless?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: ted williams motor?????

Ted Williams outboards were made by Eska and sold by Sears. Look for a model number plate on the outboard and post it here. We'll be able to tell you what year it is.

These outboards are air-cooled, with a water pump to cool the exhaust. They're 2-stroke engines, single cylinder, and the engine itself is made by Tecumseh.

They work OK, when they're running right, but are a bit noisy and they vibrate quite a bit, too. Your 7 hp model will push your boat along about like a 5 hp Johnson or Evinrude.

Some parts actually are available, through places like Certified Parts Corp. Sears still has exploded parts diagrams available on their parts website, but they don't have a lot of actual parts available for the older outboards.

Without the model number, I can't tell you much more. fuel:eek:il ratio depends on the year, but 24:1 is probably OK for your 7hp. Some earlier models require 16:1. The oil you use is the same as used in chainsaws and other air-cooled 2-strokes...not the stuff for water-cooled outboards.

So, find that model number, and I'll give you some links...