Johnson Fat 75 shifting question

Jill_S

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1960 Fat 75 and am having trouble with the manual shifting. The boat I have came with a single lever Morse controller and I switched over to a 2 lever shipmaster controller. It seems like the span on the shift handle lever is not wide enough. The controller has a detent for neutral so when I adjust the controller cable for neutral I'm able to get it to go in the forward gear but when I switch to reverse it just doesn't quite go in reverse. If I adjust it to reach the reverse gear then naturally I can't get it to go in the forward gear. This is all being checked without the motor running. I can sometimes hear it click into reverse but sometimes not.

Are the plastic ratchets inside the controller with the teeth different for the throttle and shifter lever? Don't think so but I gotta ask. I do have the shift handle teeth lined up for full opperation. My cables are new and the lever operates smoothly in both directions. Could it be too many bends in the cable. I could straighten it out better by drilling another hole and redressing the cable. Or could there be an adjustment at the motor.

It also does not seem to be sloppy at the shifter at the motor with the cable removed. Maybe 1/2" play on the top of the shift lever in neutral if that helps in diagnosis.

I give up on overtaxing my brain on this one so its time to ask for help. I have several other old OMC motors and have never had this problem before.

Thanks

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson Fat 75 shifting question

my only thought, is there could be play in the bushing center mount of the lever. also are you connected to the right levers. short lever is shift, long is throttle.

duracraftignition001.jpg

i have this one connected to a 1987 48spl, and it works fine. vintage to the boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jill, If that motor is anything like my Fat-Fifty, you will have a bit of play in each shifter linkage component. See if you can get some replacement bushings to remove some of the looseness.

BTW - To advance the throttle the cable is pushed. To shift to FWD, the cable s pulled.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I doubt the problem is in the control box. I'll make a bet the shift cable inner wire core has been broken and the end reattached. That limits the amount of travel it can make. Used to see it all the time. Of course, all bets are off if the cable is a new one.

tashasdaddy

actually there is an adjustment if the cable is new. when you mounted the cable in the plastic connection, it could have been push in too far, thus shortening the throw. could happen on either end. cable should be even with the end of the plastic attachment.

Attachments

• cable ends adjustable 001.JPG
    cable ends adjustable 001.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
  • cable ends adjustable 002.JPG
    cable ends adjustable 002.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
  • cable ends adjustable 003.JPG
    cable ends adjustable 003.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 0

Jill_S

Seaman Apprentice

OK got some light bulbs going off here. The inner wire is extended past the plastic ratchet thing in the controller with teeth but I believe thats how my Seloc manual explained how to do it. If I even it up wouldn't that push the wire back at the motor more toward the reverse direction thus needing more cable adjusting with the thumb wheel back at the motor putting me back to square one?

I will check the bushings for play in the controller and at the motor.

I am using the short lever as the gear shifter but I will say when I was a newbee I thought just the opposite. I'm going to switch out this controller and cables with one from a 1959 35hp Super Seahorse and see how it performs. That will narrow down my search as to where the problem is. Don't know why I hadn't thought of doing that until now. I had also thought I hadn't tightened the allen screw enough causing slipage too.

Thanks guys.

Oh.....Florida Mariner and Daddy of Tasha...what is that last picture you posted? I see the wire but whats in front of it? Doesn't look like any of the parts I have in my controller. Looks like the handle of a cresent wrench maybe?

tashasdaddy

the are the cable ends, 1st pic is a bare cable, 2nd is the piece that mounts on the cable, and connects to the motor of inside the control. 3rd is the cable sticking too far out. when you stick it too far thru, it shortens the push pull of the throw.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Right, letting the wire stick out too far is the same thing as having the wire broken and reattached. The proper way to do it is install the control racks first (flush with wire end), then assemble control, (the short lever is shift--use wrong lever for shift and it will work backwards). Then secure control and cables in their intended location, and only then install the motor ends.

To install the motor end, put the control shifter lever completely in forward gear. Then there should be something like 3/4" of wire sticking out at the motor end to attach the cable end to. If there isn't enough wire sticking out, it is too short (broken?). Install the motor end on as far as it will go while control is still in forward.

Edit: The throttle end is done the same way. Set control lever to extreme slow. Should be about 3/4" of wire sticking out to attach end to.

A note on installing the ends: Screw one setscrew up against the wire, then a bit more to "kink" the wire. Then tighten the second setscrew. The kink keeps the assembly from slipping on the wire.

Last edited:

Jill_S

Seaman Apprentice

Just a follow-up to let you helpful folks know that my shifting span problem has been resolved. And yes, of course, the cable wire should not protrude past the ratchet and I did misunderstand my manual. So my problem was self inflicted but thats how I learn. A hearty thanks to all involved.

Here is why I was confused on your pictures Tashasdaddy. I thought those were pics of the inside of your controller. But the last pic still baffels me? Must be at the motor and a different kind of cable ends at the motor than I am use to seeing. Here are pic of mine.

Thanks F R ...I followed your step by step attaching procedure but the ratchet piece only has one setscrew.

Thanks again...I'm thrilled and happy to chock it up to a good learning experience.

Attachments

• IMG_3269 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3269 (Small).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3268 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3268 (Small).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, Tash's picture was a different control. No problem, he was still on the right track.

There should be two setscrews coming in the brass gizmo, one from each end.

tashasdaddy

you are correct it is different, newer controller, but the only one i had available. any way it got the point across. and you solved your problem. which i am very happy for you.