Auto Trim Control-Bennet Marine

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have Bennet Marine ATC on their boat? Can this system be used with your existing trim tabs? Do they do what they promise to do and are they worth $350?
Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Auto Trim Control-Bennet Marine

I have Bennett trim tabs and love them but I want total control nothing auto.
Do you really want the same boat trim heading into a head sea as you would have with a following sea, I dont. Heading into a head sea I use lots of bow down trim. With a following sea I use none.

I want to control it my self. If your inland in small lakes and rivers it may be ok. Also if your copilot does not understand how to adjust it may be good.

I like it manual, it is simple and very few things to go wrong.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. It was my understanding that you can turn off the auto feature and resume manual control when needed. Is that not the case?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm considering installing ATC on my boat (Grady Seafarer) and went out for a ride with a friend that had ATC on his Grady Gulfstream. I was skeptical at first but by the end of the run I was impressed on how well they controlled the boat in the conditions we ran that day.

I too was skeptical with the head and follow seas and how well an inclinometer based system would handle it but the ATC handled the 2-3’ chop we ran that day without incidence.

I just finished putting in a new NMEA 2000 compatible navigation system so it's not going to happen this year but ATC is on my short list of things for the future.

BTW: Yes you can turn it off and on at will

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. Do you know if I keep my existing trim tabs? I understand this system controls the tabs but I wasn't sure if I had to replace the actual trim tabs with Bennet Marine tabs. My boat is SeaRay 240 Sundancer and it has the factory installed hydraulic trim tabs along with the rocker switch control on the dash.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

There's a good chance you already have Bennett's, Sea Ray did not make tabs. Look carefully on the rocker switch Bennett usually has their name embossed right into the switch.

eddiemoral

Cadet

I too have a 240 Sundancer. I bought it in 2007 and the Marine Max dealer swore by the ATC system. I waited for the new ATC to come out and bought it at: http://www.defender.com/ProductDisplay?id=777388

It was 262.00 shipped 3 weeks ago! I will install this week. The installation seems VERY simple. Just the cutting the cables that give me the heebe jeebes!

My Marine Max mechanic will do the install (on the side.) And yes you can use your existing tabs (they are Bennett's)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Here is a link to Bennett and the installation instructions.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/autotab.htm

When I was talking about want no trim with a following SEA I was not talking about a 2 to 3 foot chop. To me a following sea is 7 to 10 foot swells with a 2 to 3 foot chop on top and maybe at a different angle.
With large Swells and a following sea you need to ride the back of the swell but near the top so you can see over the swell and see any boats coming out or a rock structure you do not want to hit. If you fall behind the next swell fill the stern of your boat with water. If you go over the swell you race down the face like a surf board and the bow buries in the next wave and the boat likely pitch poles, a deadly event. In this condition you want no trim at all. You are not going to see these conditions in inland lakes and rivers. The great lakes may see this condition. The Pacific Ocean in Nothern California it every day all summer long.

Yes you can turn off the auto control.