1992 evinrude 200xp problems

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice
I recently bought a bass boat with a 1992 evinrude 200xp I went to the lake earlier this week and it would not get on plane :( . I looked at it when i got home and there are 3 clylinders that have no spark ( bottom starbord and top and bottom port side). I dont have a manual yet. I checked the compression and all were right at 95lbs. I checked the grounds on the powerpack and the coil grounds and cleaned them, I also swaped one of the working coils with a non working one and the same cylinder had no fire. I recently installed a carb kit also. I don't know what else to Any help would be much appeciated.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1992 evinrude 200xp problems

swapping the coil leads me to power packs, but i am no expert on the large motors.

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice

Could it be the stator? I am thinking either the stator or the powerpack, but I'm no expert.

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do you have access to a DVA meter?

Taken from http://www.boatpartstore.com/page35.asp

No fire or intermittent on One Cylinder:

1. Check the timer bases resistance from the white wire to the blue, green and purple wires. Reading should be approximately the same on all (Typically 1 to 2 M ohms). If the readings are off, reverse the meter leads and retest to see if the readings straighten out.
2. Check the DVA output from the timer base. A reading of at least 0.5V or more from the white wire to the blue, green and purple wires (while connected to the pack) is needed to fire the pack.
3. Check the DVA output on the orange wires from the power pack while connected to the ignition coils. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more. If the reading is low on one cylinder, disconnect the orange wire from the ignition coil for that cylinder and reconnect it to a load resistor. Retest. If the reading is now good, the ignition coil is likely bad. A continued low reading indicates a bad power pack.

More testing here.

http://cdielectronics.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=iQIrxBxUGx0=&tabid=55&mid=383&language=en-US

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice

What is a load resistor? I don't have a DVA but I will try to find one I have a fluke multimeter. Can I do more testing with just the multimeter?

Benny1963

Lieutenant

not sure on the 92 but on the older crossflows you can swap your power pack to the other side and if the problem follows its the pack
but i think the newer models dont use the cd6 packs .
some one will pop up shortly .but if you have the meter go thru high trims
stator test to rule it out good luck
Bennyb

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice

This motor only has one pack.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What is a load resistor? I don't have a DVA but I will try to find one I have a fluke multimeter. Can I do more testing with just the multimeter?

Instead of a load resistor simply use a known good coil. That is the idea of a load resistor. There are some values you can test for with the multimeter. A DVA adaptor is available for you fluke, check ebay.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Its most likely the pack, but find out what made it fail. Packs fail for various reasons: bad coils( usually 1 cylinder): Stator - damaged by bad rectifier: Timer base -bad Bias circuit : Bad engine grounds (brackish water/salt)
If it where me I would test stator and if passed, would replace timer base and pack.

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I should order a powerpack, and why a timer base? Do those wear out often?

Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

A bad scr switch in timer base can spike and damage a pack. I only use CDI products on these ignitions as they are updated and somehow has digital internals.

Jons69chevy

Cadet

I am by no means an expert but doesnt the shift interupter switch momentarily not fire 3 cylinders to make shifting into gear easier? Could it be acting up in this case?

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice

So I should replace both or just the pack?

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice

I unpluged the shift switch if it is right at the shift rod and it still did not change.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I would do both because if timer base is bad its going to damage new pack. Just my $.02

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I tested the stator and it showed bad so I replaced it and it still does the same thing just not as bad do I need to buy a power pack now?

v8etr

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I am getting ready for a boat bonfire. I replaced the power pack and it will get on plane but slowly and it will not go past 5000 rpms with a 22 pitch prop.
Any more ideas???? please help