Water Pressure at WOT

flhunter27

Cadet
I just changed my water pump and I was wondering what the water pressure would be at WOT. It's a 1991 Johnson 150. Right now it reads 18 psi at WOT, I thought it would be around 24 or 25 psi. Also, could the fins on the impeller be put in the wrong way, I'm just wondering about that one. Any thoughts? Thank You.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Pressure at WOT

Where are you picking up the reading from? What brand gauge?

flhunter27

Cadet

I took a look and couldn't find a brand name on the guage but I'm sure it's the original one that came with the boat. It's mounted in the console.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Where is the hose T'd into the water system?

flhunter27

Cadet

It's T'd into the PEE line itself before it gets to the tell tale hole.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, since you have an overboard line that means you have a crossflow 150, not a 60* 150. Depending on what gauge you have and if the overboard line is restricted or not, 18 may be all it shows. Are the t-stats in and working? Are the pop off valves in and working?

Several things could explain the 18 lbs but if the t-stats are out, that's about typical on a good gauge.

flhunter27

Cadet

Hightrim, the link you gave would not let me open . Dhadley, the t-stats were taken off last year when I had a new fuel pump put in. The mechanic stated that beings I live in FL the weather doesn't dictate needing them? I'm not sure what your talking about regarding the pop off valves?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the t-stats are out, 18 is pretty good. If it were mine I'd put them back in. And yes, I live in Fla.