water pump

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i am working on a old 40 hp merc outboard, i think it is early 80s, the water pump was shot, i replaced it and now it has no water out the tell hole, i have replaced my i/o and i know i put it in right and the right direction, but i cant get water up to engine, does this have a water circulation pump also? any help, thanks richard

bass_assasin

Cadet
Re: water pump

check the hole to make sure it is not clogged....I had that issue on my 150 black max,gauge read psi but no peeing from the motor. Turned out it had a small piece of trash stuck in it blocking the hole. That would be the first thing I checked before spending cash

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check the hole to make sure it is not clogged....I had that issue on my 150 black max,gauge read psi but no peeing from the motor. Turned out it had a small piece of trash stuck in it blocking the hole. That would be the first thing I checked before spending cash

thanks i hadnt thought of that, but do you know if the pickup tube that goes into the top of pump houseing has a bushing there to help seal it

bass_assasin

Cadet

om my motors there is a piece of plastic that connects the water pump to the tube and you have to be careful when sliding the foot up it does not miss it.

bass_assasin

Cadet

another quick thought too.....if it still does not pump water...may want to check the key on the impeller to make sure it did not slip out

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we now have water, had to pull lower unit back off just to check the key, found the upper pump housing had some ware marks in it, so i replaced that just to make sure, tired cleaning the hose out but didnt find anything so i took the hose off and found a mud dobers nest, cleand and blew out, and we now have water, thaqnks for the help

mariner45hp

Seaman

seems like were working on the same thing. did have problems dismantleing the lower unit? i can't get mine apart, need some help!!!!!!

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

seems like were working on the same thing. did have problems dismantleing the lower unit? i can't get mine apart, need some help!!!!!!

what are we working on, there are two 5/8 nuts one on each side, the anode has a bolt on it has a star bolt , a 7/16th 12 point socket works on it, then there are two nuts under it, that is for the one i was doing,

mariner45hp

Seaman

mine is a 87 45hp mariner. i got 5 screw/bolt out already but still haveing problem taking it apart.

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mine is a 87 45hp mariner. i got 5 screw/bolt out already but still haveing problem taking it apart.

some times they just dont want to, if yours has the two side nuts, screw them back down some then put a small peace of wood on top on nut then back the nuts back off this should push down on the lower unit,

mariner45hp

Seaman

i try that last night still not coming apart. but i soaked it with wd40 over night, hoipefully that helps.