small transom saver?

mrjhume

Cadet
Does anybody make a transom saver for smaller non-tilt/trim motors? I have a 12' aluminum boat with a 6hp, and drive on a lot of bumpy roads. I'm waiting for the day i look back and don't have a transom.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: small transom saver?

Is it possible to toss the 6hp in the trunk?

CATransplant

Admiral

I have the same size boat and motor. I bought a regular frame-mount transom-saver and use it always when trailering. I got tired of watching the outboard bounce and flex the transom. Ignore the tilt-trim thing. Your 6hp won't stress anything, I guarantee.

If you have a roller right at the transom, you can use the roller-style saver. If not, the frame-mounted one works great. A bracket bolts to the rear crossmember, then the transom-saver fits there, with a pin to hold it in place. The transom-saver comes with a strap to secure the outboard.

It'll be a good investment, I guarantee, and you can concentrate on driving, rather than watching your outboard bounce.

a70eliminator

Captain

Yep the roller mounted ones are great, they swivel in two directions and up and down making it able to swing out and out of the way then secured with a bungee anywhere around the trailer frame and it's always there, mine has been boosting my 60 hp sportfour for over 20yrs and still works as it was new and has never left the trailer.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yeah. I had one of the roller mounted ones with my previous boat. When I downsized to the 12' tinnie, the transom is behind the rear frame crossmember and roller. Bunks support it from there back. So, I had to go to the frame mounted one. It's a little more of a PITA to use, but not all that much. Makes that little 6 hp Johnson completely immobile, too...just what I wanted.

Some guys laugh at it, but then, they laugh at my boat pretty much all the time. It's a pretty funny boat, compared to all the 5-figure bass boats on the local lakes.

Oddly enough, though, the fish don't seem to be able to tell the difference, and I can fish all day on 3 gallons of premix. :D