full length keel guard installed (pics)

a70eliminator

Captain
Just wanted to show off a little my installation of "keelguard" I'm really happy with how it looks, I decided to take it all the way up to the bowcap and turned out great just had to make the cutout to clear bow eye, so just in case anyone out there is thinking about doing the same thing, i have not yet given it the acid test but can't see any reason why it would be a bad thing.
chaparral004.jpg
[/IMG]
chaparral002.jpg
[/IMG]

Randy169

Seaman Apprentice
Re: full length keel guard installed (pics)

Looks really good. You did a great job and taking it all the way to the top is a good idea.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

A70Elim, looks good. What is the method of attachment? I am guessing some type of adhesive. Can these be removed and replaced in the event that it gets banged up, or maybe just from years of wear and tear. I've been seriously considering putting one on my boat. (I have a homebuilt that I've already done one keel repair job on.)

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not to be nosey, but what does that length Keel Guard cost? I'd like ot install also. Is "Keel Guard" the brand name and are there others? I see them in the boating mags all the time.

QC

Supreme Mariner

There are two well known ones, Keel Guard and Keel Shield. They are both pricey and you're really paying for the adhesive . . . Both run over $100 for 5', 8' gets close to $200 :eek:

woosterken

Lieutenant

that looks good,I was going to put one on mine but my trailer is all rollers and I heard they will crush the gaurd.

check your PM box

woosterken

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Looks really nice. Was it difficult to prep and install?

a70eliminator

Captain

This was actualy one of the easiest mods I've done yet, follow the directions carefully and it shouldn't take more than an hour start to finish it's very straight forward. The cost of running it to the bowcap may change your mind, I got mine on ebay for a pretty good price it's a 12 footer. both keel guard and keel shield are basicaly the same product and available at just about any boat parts dealer and also through the internet. I will be alot more willing to beach my boat now with the added insurance of running up on something unforseen.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK, just my 2 cents.
1) What do you hit, "besides beaching the boat", that you would need or want it all the way up to the rub rail? Docks maybe? If you wanted to cover up "stuff" above the water line......I would of at least "color coordinated" it.
No offense dude, but I think you just took at least a grand off resale.
just my 2 cents.

Here's what mine looks like. Does the job, but you do not see it when it's sitting in the water.

a70eliminator

Captain

To me your's looks ugly the way it just stops in the middle of nowhere, if you can't see it above the waterline then you have it installed too low 4-5" above waterline is suggested. The previous owners of my rig had it all beat up above the bow eye so yes it does happen (docks or whatever) but it's all covered up now. Darn OMC drive puts it's now worth only about 10 bucks eh.

rambilt

Cadet

Just wanted to show off a little my installation of "keelguard" I'm really happy with how it looks, I decided to take it all the way up to the bowcap and turned out great just had to make the cutout to clear bow eye, so just in case anyone out there is thinking about doing the same thing, i have not yet given it the acid test but can't see any reason why it would be a bad thing.

You did a good job thanks for sharing.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Eliminatoe

What a nice addition. It looks like it was designed that way. Very nicely integrated. If I ever get a fiberglas boat, I will be applying mine the same way.

shibby00

Cadet

You did a great job thanks for the pics, that is a good idea.

Someone stated earlier you are paying for the adhesive but that is not entirely true. After researching the two keel guards out there Keelshield is made out of urethane and Megaware Keelguard is made out of pvc two different materials. I found this information at http://www.keelshield.com/keelshield_test.html

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks pretty nice to me...good job!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I like it! I have considered buying one for my boat and it WILL go all the way up the bow.
That comment that it took value away from the boat! Bull crappie!!!

Great job on the install!

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like it!
That comment that it took value away from the boat! Bull crappie!!!

That's like buying a car with bumper sticker's on it.
Again, just my 2 cent's.
KEEP THE BOAT looking original.

I can feel the love here.
Enjoy your boat.

salty87

Commander

a combo of red and white would have been ideal. good job, imo. i have a scuffed up bow too from previous owner, looks alot easier than gel coat matching.

pierutrus- yours does look really clean

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has anyone ever installed these gaurds on a painted bottom with luck? :confused:
Mine is painted and was wondering on doing the same. But wondered if the adhesive would stick.

erikgreen

Captain

I want a stainless steel keel guard. If I accidentally beach my boat, it'll be on a rock I didn't see. Sandy beaches would be nice....