Starter? Problems

Robby662

Cadet
1985 Mercruiser 3.0
s/n A314406

I got my boat out of storage about a month ago. This boat has always turned over fine but this year with a strong battery I was getting a "clunk...clunk...clunk" sound.I messed around with it not doing anything major and decided to beat on the starter with rubber mallet. I must have worked because THEN it started turning over... but when it cranked and idled it sounded horrible.

I checked the gas, put on a new fuel line & filter, new spark plugs and wires, new belt, took the cover off the carb and cleaned the jets and the bowl out, put it back together, it fired right up, a little rough at first but smoothed out and idled fine. It would fire and idle on a bump. Good.

Today i was going to take it for a test drive but spent the day working on the starter. Its doing the exact same thing it was doing since day one.. "clunk...clunk..clunk". I pulled the starter and hot wired it and it turned over fine. I took it to a parts store and they checked it... it passed the test-twice.

I picked up a new ground wire for the battery because I still had a screw on type for the ground, the hot wire is new and they are both top post, I filed down all the connections to new metal put the starter back on. "clunk...clunk"

The battery was hot, but just to make sure I put 4ga. jumper cables on too. No luck. The starter sounds likes it is engaging and stopping before turning. It has turned the motor VERY LITTLE and its almost a evil sound, haha,

BTW - the flywheel wasn't perfect it was a little rusty but you could wipe it off with your finger.... it was not chipped or missing teeth.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks -Rob

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter? Problems

Was it winterized properly, may have a riser that leaked into a cylinder and caused some corrosion, said you started it and it didnt run right, and now it wont turn over again.
Pull the plugs and retest. look at the plugs for a purewhite tip or rusted tip

Robby662

Cadet

I did pull the #1 spark plug today and tried turning it over with the spark plug out (didn't turn over). The spark plug looked fine, but its still brand new. The boat idled for about 20 minutes perfectly after doing the tune up two weeks ago. Could it be the starter will engage but too weak to turn the motor? Is there an in between when it comes to these starters.

twag4

Seaman Apprentice

Two possibilities I know of, there is a second solenoid somewhere on the back of the engine, usually just behind the carb that could be bad. My starter on 4.3L did same thing and in my case it was a new starter that fixed it. Mine got submerged. It would turn over after about 30 key turns. After running it was fine. The noise could be the starter drive not disengaging fully from the flywheel. Just a possibility, I have had that happen on an automotive application.

Robby662

Cadet

Pull the plugs and retest. look at the plugs for a purewhite tip or rusted tip

I pulled all the plugs and left them out. No luck. They looked fine.

I really do not have a problem with buying a new starter and installing it tomorrow its just the one on there is testing fine -off the boat. I can't think of anything else to do.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had the same problem and it was my starter. Well it was the soleniod built into the starter, If you pulled all the plugs and didn't see any water or fouled or espicially clean plugs then I would wager the starter. IF you replace it get a gear reduced one if you don't have one already.

fishrdan

Admiral

I had a similar problem on my 3.0L, slow cranking or not turning over, clunk, clunk. Starter tested fine at the parts store, so I chased down wiring, solenoids, battery switch with no success... Replaced the starter and it solved the problem.

Right before this problem I cracked a manifold which was filling the boat with water, YIKES! Flipped on the bilge pump and headed straight back to the dock, what I didn't realize is the starter had been submerged. My rule of thumb now, if the starter gets water inside, it gets replaced.