oooooooooOO CRAP!! Wrong screw!!

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice
I WAS CHANGING MY LOWER UNIT OIL YESTERDAY AND ACCIDENTILLY UNSCREWED THE SCREW THAT HOLDS MY PINON GEAR. THOUGHT IT WAS NY DRAIN SCREW BUT FOUND OUT VIA MANUAL IT WAS NOT. i TOOK IT OUT ON THE WATER YESTERDAY AND SEEMED TO RUN AWSOME. MY QUESTION IS COULD I HAVE CAUSE DAMAGE WHEN I TOOK THE SCREW OUT AND IT WILL SHOW UP LATER OR AM I OK BC IT RAN FINE YESTERDAY!!!!:confused:

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: oooooooooOO CRAP!! Wrong screw!!

If it is shifting gear properly I would suspect that you are OK. That screw allows the shift rod to pivot allowing it to change your gears. Had you moved the shifter after the screw was out, it would have most likely resulted in an entire gear case overhall.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you got lucky and the clevis did not move, so you got it back in, Jake. Congratulations!! :)

I doubt that you did any damage.

Had a neighbor do that years ago. The clevis moved and the screw wouldn't go back in. He called for help. I managed to use a scribe to work the clevis back in place, but often it is required to dismantle the foot to get her reassembled correctly.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I take a glob of make a gasket stuff and cover that screw head on my motors, so it doesn't appear to be a screw, but can still be taken out if needed...gotta take some steps to overcome my occasional Homer moments.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I felt like i had messed something up in the back of my head, thats why i had to get conformation from yall that i did not!!! Yall know yalls stuff!!! Thanks agian!!:):D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Most of the time if you lay em on their side and use an awl and wiggle the shifter you can pick it back into place.