battery charger 1990 bayliner 90 hp force

brodriguez

Cadet
is there a good battery charger that will charge my batteries while i run my main motor and anyone having good experience with a certain brand i have a twelve volt system and i want it to charge every time i have my motor running charge my trolling batteries also someone told me we can put two battries parallel and still get 12 volts let me know how too thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: battery charger 1990 bayliner 90 hp force

I think you are asking if you can charge your main battery with a little generator like a Honda while you are also running your 90 hp outboard. WHY? is the charging system on the outboard not working? A regular battery charger is going to need shore power. I suspect that your 90 hp alternator which delivers only 7-10 amps is not recharging your battery fast enough if you are also using the battery for a trolling motor.

At any rate If this is what you intend to do and the outboard alternator is working, I don't think it is a good idea for a number of reasons --least of which is having a portable generator with gasoline banging around in the boat while running. And charging near shore with shore power isn't such a good idea either. Playing with A/C near the water is just inviting trouble. Sooner or later, Murphy is going to get you.

Yes, you can hook up two lead acid 12 volt batteries in parallel and have twice the capacity in amp hours at 12 volts. Simply run a heavy wire between the positive of one battery and the second, and similarly, connect negative to negative on each battery. (Similar to jump starting a car.) Any number of batteries can be connected this way and still deliver only 12 volts. Now, from either battery connect the positive to the load (starter solenoid, for example) and the negative to the ground. Be sure to use 0 or 00 gauge wire between batteries so they can carry starting amperage loads.