starcraft floor replace questions -

DEREKJPAPA

Recruit
hello and thanks in advance
i have a 22ft starcraft aluminum center console
i remove the old floor and added strings to rise the wood to sit on the lip on the side-i was think to sealing the wood to side of boat so the water runs to back to pump-some people say it is a bad idea???
also the foam is broken up-should i add more foam or use pourable foam to add more support for saltwater use
i also used 3/8 plywood for floor boards
should i fiberglass the top of floor or should i just paint it
is it necessary to seal the bottom of wood-and can i use thompson water seal
thanks alot guys

ricwing

Seaman Apprentice
Re: starcraft floor replace questions -

On my starcraft 18 center console, when i replaced my floor i used marine plywood on bottom side i coppertoxed it on top i bought the fiberglass paneling that you see at walmart bathrooms,get it at lowes or home depot. glued it down,clean up good and is bright white reflects heat good. I used the spary foam to replaced foam i removed, it worked good. I sealed my edge with silicone. Hope you cleaned the flow drains out on your stringers to be sure the water runs to the back good,mine were clogged and holding water between stringers. If you haven't screw your new floor down yet you might want to replace your steering cable if it binding,so much easier with floor out

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just a few thoughts...
yes, you should do something to help seal the bottom of the deck. IMHO, no Thompson's water seal won't do it. I personally believe Thompson's water seal is a waste of money, and Consumer Reports magazine backs that up. Use epoxy, or spar varnish (several coats) to coat the bottom of the deck, drill your holes for mounting your deck, then coat the inside of the holes (seal the holes).
If you fiberglass the top of the deck, it will last longer. The decking will eventually rot, it's just a question of how long - 5 yrs - 10 yrs - 20 yrs? So, fiberglass the top, or use varnish and then paint.
As far as sealing the deck to the sides. All that I have heard says to NOT seal the decking to the side on an aluminum boat. Whether the foam is broken or not is of less concern, it will give the required flotation. However, with it broken, it could make more noise, make it more mobile, but not a real problem with flotation....
Good luck on your restoration!!

Boat5412

Recruit

The floor should go back in the original position to support the boat as it was designed.
Boat5412

DEREKJPAPA

Recruit

I took the old floor out and the previous owner had some home made stringers so i made new ones out of plywood and riveted them in position and then cut floor-the edge of floor sits on top off crease where the old one butted up to egde-i was think to seal void with foam-great stuff and then fiber glass it to hull so floor is complete seal except in the back where bilge pump

i tried to make a pics--i know it lousy but thats where i have floor sitting

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0

Nandy

Commander

Deck gentleman, boats have decks no floors. Good luck in your project.