rack bar type steering

Recurve

Recruit
my steering is way stiff , i was told that the cable freezes up due to water or moisture . and that i would have to get new cable or go to a different style of steering all together . i found a drum type cable and steering that is in good shape but i want to know if i can fix what i have before changing over, and also can my cable be too long or in a bind ? i dont think this steering came with the boat when it was new . thanks !

GUMBY

Cadet
Re: rack bar type steering

Good question recurve, since Iredid the interior of the boat that I'm working on, the steering has been very stiff, and Ichecked the cable for binding, there was a little bit. I stretched it out, and it helped a little bit but still tight. I my self could use some suggestions onthis one!!!

Recurve

Recruit

i already tried taking the cable off the motor and i used wd 40 and cleaned it up the best i could . it helped but still very stiff was wondering if there was a way to cut back enought of the cable to inject lube about midway i know it has banding around it would have to be careful i know . take care all thanks .

wvmarine

Cadet

Rarely does lubrication help a stiff or frozen cable and if it does it will be temporary. Almost all cables have a spiral metal wrap around the inside steel rod that pushes and pulls to affect your steering. Typically this spiral wrap after time and usage starts spliting and the rod starts binding where the spiral wrap comes apart. This usually occurs toward the rear where the sharpest bend in the cable occurs. Your best bet is to get a complete sreering system so that your cable and rack will be new. Most time you can buy the whole system(everything but your steering wheel) cheaper than the replacement cable lone-around 140-160.00 for a round or flat rack. Good luck.

Recurve

Recruit

just would like to say thanks ! i am going to go ahead and replace the steering . i can get complete drum,rotor, morse cable set for 115.00 . it will make life alot easier . take care all !

Capt Al

Cadet

Hey Recurve ... I'm in the same position. My 14 year old cable is way stiff and it's time to replace. Are you buying online? If so, from what site?

oly

Cadet

Hey All - <br /><br />I just had this problem and replaced the steering with a rack NFB (No FeedBack) system from Teleflex. I bought it online at Surplus Unlimited (www.surplusunlimited.com). I bought a 15ft cable, rack, and steering mechanism for about $130. Works great! <br />Good Luck