1994 115hp johnson- will not shift out of foward into neutral or reverse

goodstuff

Recruit
I Have A 1994 115 Hp Johnson, Have A Few Issues With Shifting That Just Have Gotton A Bit Worse. Engine Has Been Able To Start When It Is Gear For A While, Not The Major Issue Right Now Though. I Cant Get It To Shift Out Of Foward, It Was Having Problens Shifting From Neutral To Foward (had To Jiggle The Handle A Bit And Play With The Neutral Button). Then Problems From Foward To Reverse (would Stay In Foward Would Hit Neutral Though). Now Just Stays In Foward Even When Starting (never Hits Neutral Or Reverse). I Read A Few Posts Here And Checked The Linkages At The Engine, Disconnected The One For Reverse And Was Able To Manually Shift Into Reverse. Now I Am Stuck...is It The Actual Shfter That Is Busted (the Neutral Button Doesn't Seen To Go In Like It Used To) Or The Cable....or Something Else I Don't Even Know About?? Any Help/advice Is Welcome!!! Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1994 115hp johnson- will not shift out of foward into neutral or reverse

it sounds like the neutral button is stuck in the activated postion, or the motor would not start. that leads me to believe it is in the control itself. probably the toothed shift teeth. just had one go bad.

goodstuff

Recruit

thanks for the heads up! does that mean i have to replace the whole shifter unit or is there a specific part i can buy to fix the neutral button??? if its the whole shifter i should be able to pick one up at a salvage yard right?? thanks for your help!!!!

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

try the cable first to make sure it is not rusted/jammed, do the easy tests first before anything Major is replaced or purchased.

goodstuff

Recruit

thanks for the advice guys.... i didn't think to check tha cable...duh, tried it with the shifter and the reverse linkage off motor...it worked, then i realized that it it needed some grease (foward cable too)...then up to the control box...that thing was nasty looking! put grease on basically every place i saw metal on metal rub and grime! lo and behold everything started working...what a shocker! thanks again for all the insight guys. i do have another random question: there are two screws on the side of the neutral button that can be acessed by removing one of those rubber water tight cover/seal....what do they do...and what happens of i turned them...because i did?? the shifter seems pretty tight now to go from reverse to foward, is that some sort of adjustment for the slack??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you got it. the are tension screws,