1993 Johnson 150 wont start

newboater08

Recruit
I have a 1993 Johnson 150 silver star. The boat and motor sat for about 2 years. Last October (2007) I had the mechanic go thorugh the motor and he pulled and cleaned the carbs and drained the fuel tank. I took it out for the first time yesterday and started it with the muffs on. It took a couple of tries but it started, I ran it for about 10 minutes with the muffs on to let it warm up, mostly at idle. I put it in the water and it ran rough at idle, shutting off at idle periodically. When I got into open water I opened it up and it ran good. I stopped several times for 30 minutes or so each time and it started back up fine. When I got to the boat ramp and was idleing again it shut off two times and started slower (more tries turning the key). After washing the boat, I hooked it up to the muffs to flush the salt water out of the engine and it would not start. When I turned the key I could hear the starter trying but it would not fire. I took the cover off the motor and noticed on the right side (while standing behind the motor)of the engine there was fuel dripping from a brass colored thing that looked like a nail head that was near the middle spark plug. Again, when I was out in the bay it ran fine at anthing faster that idle and slow speeds. I noticed a leak in the fule line between the bulb and the engine but it only leaked when I was squeezing the bulb not when the engine was running. I know I need to get that replaced. Any suggestions?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1993 Johnson 150 wont start

A fuel line that leaks when you pump the bulb will actually suck air in when the engine is running.Fix that problem then pump the bulb up and look for any other leaks around the lines and the carbs.
That is a starting point anyway..

WELCOME TO IBOATS!