73 Lane Project or Trash?

Yammerhead

Cadet
Looking for some advice from those who have experience with repairs like this. I bought the boat in the winter with the hopes that it didn't need too much work. I kind of liked this looks of this thing and it didn't seem too beat up. Once I dug into it however, I found the floor to be soft. I ripped up the soft area and found significant rot in that area. I then cut out a big piece of the floor and found that the stringers were also rotted badly. Now I'm stuck wondering if I should pull the motor off and haul the rest to the dump. I'm new to fiberglass repair, but would like to learn how to do it. I've searched and read enough to think that I could takle the fiberglass work as long as it isn't already too far gone. Looking at the pictures, do you think I can get away with cutting in new stringers? I'm not wanting to invest the time to take the boat completely apart and stripping it right down. Can you glass in new stringers beside the old ones? The hull is showing some spider cracks. I'm assuming that is because of the weak stringers. What's involved with fixing the cracks as well?

Any advice would be appreciated....:(

Attachments

• IMG_2488_1.JPG
    IMG_2488_1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2490_1.JPG
    IMG_2490_1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2499_3_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_2499_3_1_1_1.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2502_1.JPG
    IMG_2502_1.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2556_1.JPG
    IMG_2556_1.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 73 Lane Project or Trash?

spider cracks and the condition of the boat is lack of care, doubt the boat has ever been covered. you have an excellant boat for a first project. i would not glass next to old. that rotten wood weight twice, what it use to. the worse part is already out. pull the rest of it. use 3/4 plywood, for stringers, if the stringer is over 8 feet long, put a 4' splice on each side of the joint. the transom is also gone. i think what i would do is make sure the motor will run ok. then tackle the hull.

here's one i am finishing.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Yammerhead,
I agree with TD. Start with the motor. If it has spark, good compression and the wiring isn't crumbling, there's a very good chance you can make it run.
Beyond that, the repairs aren't so much difficult, as they are time and money consuming. If you go ahead with it, rip out all the old wood - stringers & transom. Don't try to sister anything in. Take more photos, measurements, etc. so you can get it back together correctly. Start with the transom BEFORE ripping out the stringers. If you take everything out, the hull can lose its shape a bit. Once the transom is done, move on to the keel, then the outer stringers. They can each be done independently, so the remaining old can stay in place while you replace the other. Also gives you a reference for height, placement, etc.
Lots of threads here on iboats for sources for glass, tools, supplies, etc. You can go inexpensive without going "cheap". Expect to spend anywhere from $900-$1500 on materials and supplies. If you REALLY like the boat, then go for it. If you're just looking for any old boat, you might be better off junking this one (keeping the motor, of course) and finding something else.
- Scott

Yammerhead

Cadet

Thanks guys. The motor runs quite well. I had it fired already. The motor, wiring and controls seem solid. The tilt / trim didn't work, so I took the motor apart and it was full of water. Go figure. Cleaned it up and it works like a charm now.

After I seen how bad the stringers were, I figured the transom would be suspect as well. The original idea of the boat was to get my family out in the water, not to perform a restoration. Now that I have seen what goes into a restoration, I think it would be fun and a great learning experience to do it. I think I might store it and then make it a winter project to keep me off the couch.

If nothing else, I know a lot more about boat construction now!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that works, you can get another hull for this season, if you want, then sell it next season.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep. Boats are like potato chips. You can't have just one...
- Scott