FRANK...OR someone else, I NEED HELP!!!!

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK WELLLLL I am having issues with water in my lower unit oil!! Can someone PLEASE explain to me step by step on what to do to find out where my problem is??? I have never broken dowm the lower unit and I HAVE KNOW IDEA WHAT TO DO!!! I am guessing a seal somewhere has gone bad. Please explain to me what seals to check and how to find them. Also tell me if i am wrong about a seal being bad, ambey it is something else I HAVE NO IDEA! Also, how much money is this going to cost me to fix this problem. BC i just spent ALOT of money on this engine and cant afford alot more money towards it!! Thanks!:mad::(:mad:

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: FRANK...OR someone else, I NEED HELP!!!!

Sorry forgot to state my engine.....Force 75hp, 1996 modle

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WEll I just made an interesting discovery. I unscrewd my vent screw and noticed NO SEAL! My drain screw had a rubber seal on the screw itsself but my vent screw did not. However, i did notice something that apperead to be a seal but it was before the threads and it look like it was permanetly attatched to the unit. Kinduv like a washer. I tried to see if i could remove it but i couldnt. I think it permanetly on the lower unit. So would getting a seal for the vent screw fix my issue?? By the way, the guy that i bought the motor from had a new lower unit installed about 4yrs ago so it isnt the stock unit.

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok...I did some more wrk on the engine today and here is what i came up with. the picture of the oil in the cups are when i drained the unit oil the 1st time, then the second cup is when i filled it back up and let it drain agian to try and flush some of the water out of the lower unit. I bought the boat probably 3 months ago and changed the oil in the lower unit when i got it. the oil that came out was worse then the pictures above! I noticed when i unscrewd the drain scew that it wasnt REALLY tight agianst its housing. So i was thinking that my problem might be that issue! SO what i am wondering is this. Could it be possible that water was just left in the lower unit after the fist time i changed it and i am just slowly getting it out each time i change it, due to the last guy who owned the boat not seating the drain screw? OR is my problem elsewhere?? Also the other two pictures are my vent scew and vent hole in the lower unit. As you can see there is not seal on the screw; however, if you look at the pict. of the housing it appears the have a PERMANENT washer in it (tried taking it out and it want come out)... PLEASE GUYS SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT HERE I HAVE BEEN WAITING ON A REPLY FOR 2 DAYS NOW AND HAVE NOT GOT ONE!!! I NEED SOME HELP!!!!!!

Attachments

• boat1.JPG
    boat1.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 2.JPG
    boat 2.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.JPG
    boat3.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat5.JPG
    boat5.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 0

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, do you have a manual?
We all fish and stuff on the weekends. DUHH

Looks like a seal in the shaft may not be good.

Search the forum for lower unit repairs. There were a few good ones last year by Frank and some others.

I see the same questions over and over, and the answers are so easy to find, if you search for them. Some questions are new.

So QUIT YELLING AT US.

Looks like you can figure things out yourself, but you really need a manual,
and learn to SEARCH.

Respecfully,

Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The picture of the gasket is too fuzzy to tell what's up. BUT -- you definitely have a water intrusion issue. What you think is a washer probably is. Some of them get stuck to the housing pretty hard and must be popped out with a sharp object like an awl or small screwdriver. Your picture looks Anytime you change lower unit lube you should replace the gaskets and make sure the plugs are tight. You also need to have the engine vertical when draining the oil. If it's tilted up even a little, some lube/water will remain inside. Refill, seal the plugs well and run the engine. If you still have water intrusion, it's time for a reaseal of the lower unit. You need a sevice manual for this if you intend to do it yourself.

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK....I what does this sound like.....If i keep my engine tilted down the oil doesnt come out very well; however, if i tilt it up it comes out faster than tilting it down, why is this?? Also, something else i have noticed is that my lower unit holds less than 10oz. i would think it would hold ALOT more, but i have the engine tilted down and fill it up until the oil comes out the vent screw (which is less than 10oz). Agian, my engine is a 75hp force, but the lower unit is an aftermarket lower unit(replaced by the first owner), so my manuel isnt helping, thats why i need yalls help!!! If you look at the pictures of the cups thats how much oil my lower unit holds...............:confused::confused::confused:

*Just talked to the previous owner and he said the lower unit was replaced with a 70hp force lower unit!!!

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

COME ON GUYS I HAVE 90 views AND ONLY 2 REPLIES???? ANYONE ELSE HAVE AN IDEA ON WHATS UP???? I have gave a lot of info. to go by!

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Install 3 new sealing washers on the drain, vent and fill screws. Fill lower unit till it will not take anymore gearcase lubricant. Use quicksilver premium blend gear lube, or use a high-quality SAE90 EP outboard gear lube. Buy extra. After everything is filled and sealed, run motor at the lake or in a tank. Make sure the water level is above the cavitation plate. I use a big plastic container with two large heavy duty garbage bags tied over the lower unit. Fill the container with water to the top. Then fill the garbage bags with water till full. Run for a while, check lower unit for water in the gear lube and to see if you need to add more lube. If water is present, then you have to drop the lower unit and check the drive shaft and the shift rod seals. Get a manual. Clymer is better than the other one. With a manual and this forum, you can do alot yourself. Goog Luck

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have read once before "while filling lower unit with lube, fill until lube flows from the vent, then, wait 30 min for all air to release from the oil, then, fill again until flowing from vent hole". Leg in verticle position. 10oz of lube seems wrong.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Book sez 26oz...