How do I get the sludge out of my old old 2-cycle oil tanks?

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to get an old Charger Boat up and running, and am ready to put some new oil and gas into her. It's an '88 Mercury 150 with oil injection. It has 2 tanks - a large tank that sits by the battery, and a smaller reserve tank that sits in the front of the motor. Both tanks are full of old 2-cycle oil, and need to be cleaned out. The oil has been sitting in these things for over 7 years, so you can imagine the sludge. What's the best way to get the insides of these tanks clean? The smaller one has the most sludge, with about an inch of it sitting in one corner. Any help would be much appreciated. Achilles.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: How do I get the sludge out of my old old 2-cycle oil tanks?

I remove the tank(s), pour the oil off into a clean container (if you plan on re-using the upper layer).
Wash and rinse the tank with any suitable solvent, rinse with an easily evaporative carb cleaner. CAREFUL USING chemicals, ALWAYS TEST a small area with any 'new' chemical to ensure that it doesn't melt the plastic.

I haven't had any problem with standard solvent tanks and the Wally world super tech carb cleaner, and it is also the cheapest that I've found.

Refill your tankkk(s) with quality TCW-3 and BLEED the lines.

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the reply charlie. can i wash the tank with gasoline? or, what is the best "suitable solvent"? also, could you explain the proper way to bleed the lines? thanks so much for your help. ac.

gss036

Commander

I think you could use gas w/o any problems. I have done that w/2 1/2 gal tank. There is a screened filter at the bottom of the pick tube, soak it in gas and make sure it is clean. Blow off the screen w/low pressure air.
Wish you near by and I would sell you my tanks full of oil. Just took them off yesterday, getting ready to repower w/225 Honda, so no more need for them. Even have 4 1/2 gal of TCW3 Penzoil synthetic blend. Good luck.

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks gss. i wish i was a little closer also. what are you going to do with all of that oil. i have a 3 gallon bucket FULL of oil oil sitting on my back porch right now, and i have no idea what i'm going to do with all of that stuff...

i've already checked that screen - it was surprisingly clean.

thanks for the info. good luck with the honda. ac.

gss036

Commander

I guess I will try to find somebody locally that needs oil. I had just resupplied for this year, but 1st trip out, blew the motor. A ring let go on the starboad bank and took out the center hole, real bad scoring and the top of the piston hammered along with the head.
I'll just strip what I can and sell it otherwise it goes away when I take it in to the shop for repower in about 2 weeks or less. They will be ordering the new Honda on Monday.

j_martin

Admiral

I wouldn't use any oil from a system that had that much sludge in it. It just isn't worth the risk of damaging yer engine.

The sludge is caused by water getting into the oil, and bacteria eating the oil and living in the water.

I'd dump it at the local drain oil drop off, and put in new.

BTW, a good, safe solvent to use for cleaning up this stuff is fuel oil, or a mix of fuel oil and E-85.

hope it helps
John

gss036

Commander

I agree totally w/ j_Martin, don't let $10.00 worth of oil ruin your motor. I had had old TCW3 actually gel up after sitting for a couple of years. Too bad you aren't close I've about 5 gallons sitting on my shelf + the 2 1/2 gal tank from my boat. I just ordered a new 225 Honda on Friday. No more TCW3 use now.