1989 yamaha 200 outboard help.

ejones9501

Recruit
i have a 1989 yammy 200 been sittin for about 3 years , never flushed after the last use(salt water). just got it runnin like a champ but when i was on test run the buzzer went ,off **** stream strong and warm (not hot). so i shut the motor down and turned it back over and the alarm went away , so i drove back to the dock and put it on the trailer. talked to my mechanic buddy and did not like what he had to say. any advise?
or repair cost ballpark?

jjdluz

Seaman
Re: 1989 yamaha 200 outboard help.

hi,i have 1992 yamaha 200,i belive we have the same motor,maybe we can share some information,i belive if u motor have set for three years ,first thing u need to change is water pump impeller,because it get dry for not running it,and u did said it run good but over heating buzz come on,and check the top of your cylinder head while it running,see what is the temp,shouldnt be over 150,t-stat should open up about that temp,if not,u need to replace the t[stat also,i have lazer temp gun it come in handy,about 40-50 bucks.good luck.

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats. Just so that we have as much info on your problem as possible, what did your buddy say is likely the problem?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

A complete sevicing of the water pump, thermostats, and poppit valve would be the first place to start.