1977 115 Hp V4 Evinrude Water Discharge

brandonsb22

Seaman
Hello,

I am new here and also am new to owning my own boat. I have a 1983 Ebbtide Fish and Ski with a 1977 115 Hp V4 Evinrude Outboard. The boat is great so far. I have been going through threads in this forum to gather more knowledge about common issues and just wanted to thank you all for being here to help. I also have a question of my own. My outboard has two peeholes on the back and water spits and spurts out both holes. The water only gets warm, and the motor runs great. Is this a problem? I have asked friends and they say that older model outboards just operate that way and the new ones have a steady stream. Thank you again for helping out.

Attachments

• Ebbtide Front.jpg
    Ebbtide Front.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 3
  • Ebbtide Side.jpg
    Ebbtide Side.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 2

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 115 Hp V4 Evinrude Water Discharge

Welcome to Iboats.

The pee indicator should have a consistent fairly strong flow of water, it should not be weak, or spitting and spurting. Get a thin wire and stick it in the pee holes to ensure any crud in there is loosened up and out of there. Do you know when the last owner/dealer replaced the water pump? If not, it is a good time to do this to give you peace of mind and your motor a longer life.

brandonsb22

Seaman

Thanks for the quick reply. It has two pee holes. On both the water comes out in a consistent spray, kinda like with your thumb over a water hose. The previous owner provided me with plenty of information and did mention he replaced the water pump last year. He also said it is a good idea to replace it every 3 to 4 years. The motor runs great. I will clean the pee holes and go from there. Thank you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is perfectly normal, those holes are exhaust relief ports. there function is to allow the exhaust to escape there, when the motor is at idle, in the water. the reason is at idle there is not enough pressure on the exhaust to push the exhaust and used cooling water, out the center of the prop. which when running faster the exhaust exits.

brandonsb22

Seaman

So you are saying when I am running my motor at say 3000 rpm down the lake the used cooling water is coming out of the prop? I guess older motors are just that way?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually new motors are also. the tale tell ( P S) is just an indicator the the impeller is pumping water. it is not an indicator that the Tstat is opening and cooling the water. when the tstat opens it pours a great amount of water thru the motor cooling it the majority exits out the thur hub prop. the reason the prop has the hole in the center.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Part of the cooling and muffling system is keeping the midsection partially filled with water. As the motor is running the water that reaches higher in the midsection is partially released along with the exhaust through those two holes. The faster you go, the more water will be discharged through the two holes. Most of the water and exhaust is always being discharged through the prop.

When the motor is idling, the flow of water will increase and decrease somewhat as the thermostat opens and closes.

The 1977 115HP 20" motors do not share the same cooling system as more recent models. They have two water tubes from the water pump, one sends water to the engine and one returns it to the pump.

The 1977 20" motors did not come with an actual tell-tale as 1978 and later models did. You can install one if you wish. There is a good discussion in the engine FAQ on how to do that:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222677

Attachments

• 1977 20In  Cooling.jpg
    1977 20In Cooling.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 46