What carb do i have?

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to figure out if i have 2bbl or 4 bbl carb. The number on the plate of the carb is 96005 0595 and the number off the throttle plate is 7W8506. I've tried to match it up and the Y38-3 carb does not look like what i have. The
Y43 looks more like what i have but i would like to know for sure. Can anybody tell me what i have? Thanks

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What carb do i have?

Try removing the spark arrestor, open the throttle (engine off) all the way (WOT). Look into the carb, count the number of throttle valves.

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try that when i get home today. I've looked everywere trying to match these numbers up. I can't even tell what brand the carb is. The numbers i listed are the only numbers i can find on the carb. After looking at many carbs online i think it is either a Weber or a Sierra. It definitly looks more like the 4brrl carbs than the 2brrl. It has the two side by side adjustment screws on the front housing of the carb facing front of motor. So when i look into the throttle i should have 4 throttle valves if it's a 4brrl. My next question is if it is a 4brrl how much hp does motor have. My Brunswick manual say's it is 185hp but the same manual tells me nothing about the carb. I don't think i have the 205hp motor but ,i'm wondering what difference it makes if i have the 4brrl or 2 brrl carb on this 1995 4.3lx (262cid) alpha 1 Gen ll. I do know that what's on it is what it came with new so it hasn't been replaced. Any info greatly appreciated.

rndn

Commander

As stated above you just need to look down the throat of the carburator to count the valves. It will be very apparent if you have two or four. I thought the 4.3 in 95 was rated at 205hp but I'm not sure. I'm sure someone on this great forum can give you the answer off the top of their head.

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From what i have seen when trying to find what carb i have it looks like the 205hp was an option 1988- 1991. I'm not 100% sure. It would be nice if it turns out to be the 205hp but i am pretty sure i have the 185hp. Thanks again for the help.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

First off... why are you trying to ID your carb???
Secondly... in identifying a carb for carb kits etc... all the casting numbers on the carb body are useless. What you need to find is a metal tag that screwed to the carb someplace. Usually they are right in the front on top of the bowl cover.

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm trying to figure out what carb i have because, i just bought the boat and would like to know what i've got. I would like to know if it's a 2brrl or 4brrl. There's nothing wrong with it and i'm not trying to find a rebuild kit. ALso there is no tag on the carb like you have described. I do know about the tag you are talking about but, it is not there. The numbers i listed are the only numbers on the carb. After looking some more i found that the carb is a Weber and is a 4brrl. If my motor is the 185hp how much of a difference does the 4brrl make rather than the 2brrl? Like i said, i just bought the boat and since it is still a little cold here and can't get it on the water, i have had nothing to do except tinker with it and go over everything that's on the boat. Is there a Mercruiser website that you can enter the motor's serial number and get all the specs on motor? Again, just curious.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get the Serial and model numbers off the engine tag located just above the starter where the bellhousing attaches. A picture of the engine (with the flame arrestor off) will also help us ID the engine and carb exactly.

MercV8SNLocation.png