Converting Electric Start to Pull Start

nochance4win

Recruit
I have a 1988 25 hp Evinrude (E25TECCA) and I want to convert it from electric start to pull start. If I purchase a Rewind Pull Assy (part # 0398036) and a new engine cover is this all I need to purchase or is there more too it?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Converting Electric Start to Pull Start

I'm not sure as to your answer but it could be possible that you'll need a new flywheel if your current flywheel doesn't have the right contact points for the recoil. I have to ask, though, why do you want to convert it? It does have the emergency pull cord that you wrap around the flywheel and it works pretty well. I'm like you, I don't like the weight of a battery sometimes or having to trust the e-start on a cold day. Do you just want the pull cord for reliability?
Just curious,
JBJ

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you also are greatly devaluing you motor.

nochance4win

Recruit

The reason I am looking at converting this to a pull start is because (as stated in a earlier post) one of the attachment fingers for my electric start has broke. The hole on the housing where the bolt on the front of the start attaches is toast (see pics). I have tried multiple things to fix the hole to no use. So my electric starter is of no use to me. I can still start my motor with the loose pull cord around the fly wheel. But this is rather dangerous and bothersome to start the motor with on a regular basis.

Attachments

• Damaged Hole 03 After Coil Insert.jpg
    Damaged Hole 03 After Coil Insert.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Motor03.JPG
    Motor03.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good reason. by the BRP diagrams and parts list i can't tell. can you post a pic of the top of the flywheel. need to see if it has the notches, for the rewind starter.

vincelong

Cadet

Men i need help. I am converting a 76 35hp evinrude from electric start to pull start and i am trying to figure out if i can use a cd flywheel off a newer model 35hp on a points motor. I am wondering what the difference is and were to find a pull start flywheel off a 76 35hp cause they seem to be rare. If anyone could help me out i would be forever greatful. I am swapping because the electrical wires on the electric start are fried and so is the starter. Thanks