Question about selling boat

sasman

Recruit
I didn't winterize my boat this past winter and learned a hard lesson. The block froze and cracked in two places. Needless to say, it is a mistake I will never make again. I just had the motor rebuilt with a remanufactured engine from Mercruiser. I have decided to sell the boat and am wondering if I am compelled to tell the prospective buyer about the rebuilt engine. I have been advised by my buddies that I shouldn't mention it and that it could be looked as a negative selling point, but I look at it as a positive. My thinking is that it is a rebuilt motor with many new parts and 0 hours. What do you guys think? Would you consider a boat with a rebuilt engine and 0 hours as a negative or positive selling point? Also, do you think I am obligated to tell the buyer about the freeze block and rebuilt motor?

Thanks.

ebry710

Ensign
Re: Question about selling boat

Blah Blah Blah "I just had the motor rebuilt with a remanufactured engine from Mercruiser" Blah Blan Blan

For sale great boat with brand new re-manufactured engine from Mercruiser with 0 hours.

or

For sale great boat used and with used and abused engine.

Which sounds better to you ? For me I would be impressed to have a new factory rebuilt engine in a boat I was buying. :):):)

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Personally, I would disclose what happened. I looked at a used 18' open bow last September that had the engine replaced for the same reason. I didn't consider that boat because of a soft deck, not because of a rebuilt engine. This particular seller was using the rebuilt engine as a selling point. Most buyers will want to know how many hours are on the boat. What would you tell a perspective buyer? I think you are much better off being completely honest about your boat. Not only will you feel better by disclosing everything you know about your boat, you also won't be looking over your shoulder wondering if the buyer will ever legally come back at you if and when he discovers that the engine has been replaced and why. If you don't believe this can happen, spend a couple of hours reading the "sold a boat and it busted" thread. The seller, CB, went out of his way to make sure the buyer was comfortable with his purchase, including a multiple hour test run. Also, if the boat wasn't winterized, what about the lower unit? What shape is that in? I would ignore your buddies advice and be honest about your boat, too much can go wrong if you try to hide its condidtion. Just my opinion, maybe others here will disagree!

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Advertise it with a replacement motor. If someone asks what happened, by all means tell them. There is nothing to hide there and actually not that unusual where I live. It stays well above freezing most of the year here except we always seem to get one week of fridgidly cold weather that loves I/O blocks. I like deals like that as long as the original block was not used. I have seen some welded sleeve jobs on cracked blocks that would make you cringe.

ebry710

Ensign

Also, do you think I am obligated to tell the buyer about the freeze block and rebuilt motor?
Thanks.

Once the old motor is gone, it is not an issue. I think the new buyer would be interested in your problem, ........ but I also think he'll think its your problem ..... He just bought a boat with a nice new rebuilt engine because you didn't winterize it. What a story he'll tell a the dock as he tools away on a cool boat.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral

Be up front with the new engine and why you had to do that. State pertinent facts in a direct manner rather than "have a story" to cover it.

Is the boat seaworthy now? You mention 0 hours, does that mean the new engine was installed and started but has not been in the water yet? If so, I would try to get some time on it in the water to make sure the new engine will run properly and that the boat is operational and lake-ready. It will be worth way more money that way, especially if you can do a buyer demo with confidence. If you cannot do that or the boat needs more stuff then be prepared to take a bath on the new engine.

I looked at several boats that had advertised new or rebuilt or otherwise recently installed replacement engines and walked away from them because they either had not even been in the water yet or could not go in the water for other reasons. The owners wanted full price for boats that basically would not operate in the water. In cases like that a new engine is worthless in my eyes.

erikgreen

Captain

Your friends are incorrect. A new or reman engine is a positive selling point. Write down the hours on the meter now, and include that info with the boat.

Personally, given a choice between two identical boats, one with a 0 hour reman engine and one with an average amount of use, say 50 hours a year, I'd pick the one with the reman, and even pay a lil extra if it was professionally done.

All the above is void if the block was welded for a repair, or otherwise re-used, of course.

Erik

PS: Cracked blocks, a sure sign of spring. Gotta get on the water soon :)

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I was looking for a used boat the new engine would get my interest. Great selling point.

Dale

rndn

Commander

Always be upfront and honest. We all need to sleep at night and you should never consider not being 100% honest.
That said I think a reman engine would be a great selling point as the new owner doesn't have to worry about some previousowner abusing the engine. As mentioned above you do want to get it on the water to do a break in and make sure everything is turn key ready.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, is there any info here on the age of the boat? No matter what a perspective buyer has the right to know. I'm just thinking that if i were buying a used boat that was fairly new i'd consider this a negative (not much newer, "re-man" not new, indicated poor care of the boat, etc). Were it an older boat I be darn happy to get a re-man engine a long as the rest of the boat was in good shape!

Thept

Cadet

Does anybody buy a boat without looking at it 1st? Don't you think that if you are not honest in your ad and then a prospective buyer comes to look at the boat and sees a new engine that he is going to ask some questions and aren't you going to look shady for trying to hide it? It would make me think you are hiding other things as well and I would walk away....no, make that run away.

Honesty is the best policy

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I'm buying that boat, a reman is a great selling point.
I'm also going to want to see receipts/docs on the reman.
Is there a warranty on the motor? (that'd be another good selling point)

What isn't going to be a good selling point: If the motor hasn't been water tested... You need to run that boat to make sure it's clear of problems... A perspective buyer might want to do it for you, but an un-run reman isn't going to be a good selling point.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I agree with the fact that a new reman engine from Merc would be a great selling point.
Just be honest and the right buyer will come along..:)

ebry710

Ensign

I think that we all agree:
1) Your friends are incorrect
2) Your reman is a great selling point :):)

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personal experience: Before we bought our boat we looked at a Ski Natique with a new engine. The "old" engine was replaced because there was a deep freeze in Late April 2007 here and the owner had it in the water in late March. That did not phase me. I liked the fact that the engine was new and the boat was in Great shape. But the wife did not like the engine compartment being in the middle of the boat. Wife won...................

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I assume your new engine comes with a warantee. If so, this is another good selling point.

BF

Lieutenant

if it is really a 0 run time motor, I'd also advise people that they need to do the break-in procedure recommended by the rebuilder. I'd be bummed if I bought a new (to me) boat and later found out that I'd been pulling skiers, running WOT etc, for the whole time I should've been doing the break-in.

To get top dollar, I'd assume you'd need to do a water test anyway. If so, you might consider doing the break in yourself over a day or two before showing it to perspective buyers.

Just a thought.