low float level ?

dreemon

Cadet
hi, have a 92 40 hp 2 carb mariner, runs great all the way to wot, but at idle it will 'chirp' at times and stall, pulled the carbs and cleaned well, carb cleaner, compressed air and wire through the jet stem holes, i held the carbs upside down, one float was level with carb body and the other was showing low of about 4 mm, these floats are not adjustable so just fit them back in, the air/fuel idle screws are out to about 4 turns from seated and still sneezes/stalls, could that one float cause all that or do i need to look elseware for a problem ? thanks for having a great forum

Laddies

Banned
Re: low float level ?

The low float is probably the cause of the lean condition, todays fine fuels can cause the neoprene tips to swell

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

these floats are not adjustable

Are you sure the floats are not adjustable? Normally, one adjusts the float level by slightly bending the tab on the float (where it is in contact with the needle) so that the float is in the correct position. I would expect that the shop manual for your motor would describe the procedures for adjusting the float.

Laddies

Banned

dreemon, sorry I missed the whole question you asked, here is how to set your floats
scan0001.jpg

dreemon

Cadet

Hi, on this particular float it is all plastic including the tab and has memory unlike a metal tab, the shop manual says, " If specification is not obtained, replace inlet needle and seat and/or float " , here in australia outboard parts can be costly, carb kit $ 100.00 ea x 2, what was the pic meant to be?, also at idle the rpms surge 650rpm to 800 to spit/sneeze then stall, i will be looking for any posible air leak as well, it will be slow going with broken collarbone, thanks heaps for your helps

Laddies

Banned

I thought that by 1992 the only model 2 carbed 40 was the 4 cyl re tagged merc but upon checking the Mariner build manual I have, I find that in 1992 they marketed 7 different Japanese built models of duel carbureted 40 HP engines. WOW