always in forward

Recruit
i have a 85 horse (force) outboard motor that is not wanting to shift into reverse. i took the cover off of the motor and tried to do it manually and still couldn't get it to move. any ideas?

tomxdana

Seaman
Re: always in forward

Did you pull lower unit over the winter? I had same problem. When reinstalling lower unit the shift shaft must have been moved at some point. My manual says to shift in forward remove lower unit do repairs and reinstall. WRONG. There are a couple posts on this subject with tons of info scroll through that's what led me to my problem. The shift shaft has alot of movement in forward and no play in reverse which is why its better to put the lower unit in reverse set your shifter in reverse and reinstall. At least that is what I did. Again there are some posts that explain how it all works.

Good luck

Roughneck1860

Seaman Apprentice
Re: always in forward

Like mentioned above I can almost guarentee it's got to do positioning of the shifter lever in relation to the linkage. I've seen this happen often. It had a problem with it myself last fall on my Mariner. I wasn't paying attention when putting the lowe unit back on and the shift wasn't quite in the right spot. It would shift but would stay in gear properly.

Tim