Shiftcontrol box 1972 Johnson 50HP...Help me with probably a dumb question

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok...i have posted here before...newbie, trying my darndest to learn... so i moved my 50hp motor from one boat to a differnet boat... proud of myself.... only one small prob. when i was trying to figure out how to get the shift cable disconnected... i didn't know which end to get it off...motor end or shift box...well, i opened the shift box and later realized there was a clip on the motor end...in any event... i cant get the shift box back together...3 pieces... left side, shift arm, right side... is there a trick to this or is there a spring that i need to depress or any ideas.... that's all that's left of my transfer of the motor to different boat....Help me if yiou can... i don't want to bring it to the shop and have the guy fix it in 2 minutes and charge me 80bucks.... tx for all your help and patience with us wannabe motor heads...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shiftcontrol box 1972 Johnson 50HP...Help me with probably a dumb question

#1 if you have a shift cable it is not a 1972. they had and electric switch to shift gears. it's all in getting the cams to line up. patience. as you said once you learn to do it. 2-3 minutes. also getting the neutral switch prob, pushed back so everything goes together.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Shiftcontrol box 1972 Johnson 50HP...Help me with probably a dumb question

As TD mentioned, if it is a '72, there is one cable and it is a throttle cable, not a shift cable. Usually the problem lies with the cam on the throttle arm not lining up with the cam slot. Try pushing the idle arm up a little to move the cam position. You may also have to rotate the cover a wee bit to get things lined up.