Throttle Adjustments

bucchb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1973 85hp Merc.

Does anyone have instructions for adjusting the "Idle", "Starting" and "throttle Stop" screws.

I guess that Starting is max for the warm-up lever, and idle is obviously with warm-up off, and throttle is "maximum-open", but I am having trouble where I adjust in the driveway and she stalls in the water.

Thanks in advance

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Throttle Adjustments

I think most would recommend that you get the shop manual for your motor and follow all of the link and sync steps. It is generally considered better to do all the link and sync steps (and do them in the proper sequence) to be sure things are set up correctly. If you do only some of the adjustments (or do them out of sequence) you risk messing things up.

Having said that, note that the low idle speed RPMs is usually set to specifications with the motor warmed up and running in forward gear out on the water. If you set it while on the hose in the driveway, your idle will be set too low causing the motor to die when you put it in gear out on the water. An outboard motor will idle much faster on a hose than when in the water and in gear.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

bucchb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Throttle Adjustments, anyone have pdf of shop manual?

Re: Throttle Adjustments, anyone have pdf of shop manual?

Thanks, I am mechanically savy, but I was having trouble with this.

Does anyone out there have the adjustment section they could post???